Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Leek pips

This Spring I left half a dozen leeks go to seed. I now have some wonderful seed heads which are covered in bees. I was reading in a veggie magazine last week on how to propagate from "leek pips". Apparently you leave the seed heads until the Autumn when the little seeds start to sprout from the flower. This flower head then has little green leeks growing out of it like a mane of green hair! The idea is then to pot them up and overwinter them in the greenhouse for early leeks next year. Will give it a go. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger The Dalai Farmer said...

Leek pips! Sounds interesting - how did you go with these? It's August now and I haven't planted out my leeks yet coz one of the chickens keeps breaking in and uprooting everything. Did for the spuds, too.

Please let me know if the pips pipped?

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Dalai Farmer - (love the blog name) the pips didn't pip I'm afraid. I do have one leek in flower from last year and I intend to try again this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>