Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Second crop of cucumbers

I planted a second crop of cucumber seeds at the end of June. In the greenhouse they are already up to the roof and taller than I am. The leaves are enormous! Apparently cucumbers don't really react to the shortening days - they just keep going if it is still warm. Despite a few cooler days it is still up in the 70s and they are all doing fine.

Another early cucumber was completely spent and finished, so I cut it back to about 2feet tall and two leaf joints - it is already up to the roof as well as having a lovely bunch of cucumbers growing. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>