Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Growing Okra

A few years ago I tried growing okra, without success. Today I planted some seeds in a heated propagator in the greenhouse. I bought them in the USA this week - Wal Mart 59c

The packet said that it will take 54 days to maturity, which doesn't seem that long to me. I might try planting a few seeds in succession, maybe in May or June. My Sister used to grow okra when she lived in Mississippi. I can best describe the plant as about the height of a large chilli plant - about 4 feet tall.

Has anyone grown okra over here? Does anyone have any hints?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>