Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, May 28, 2007

First New Potatoes



This is one of the most keenly anticipated events of the allotment gardener's year! Back in February when my seed potatoes arrived I planted 3 tubers of the 'ultra early' 'Rocket' in a compost bag turned blackside out. These had been nurtured in the greenhouse since then, and earthed up a couple of times. You can usually tell when potato tubers have started growing because this is when the tops of the potatoes have small flowers on them. It is best practice to pinch out the flowers when you see them as this diverts energy away from the tubers.

1130am these potatoes were happily growing in my greenhouse
1200midday they were dug up
1215pm they were washed
1245pm they were eaten

Food miles ????...FOOD YARDS!!

Absolutely brilliant!!

3 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger AllotmentBoss said...

Those early spuds look good. We had some that had grown wild from potatoes we'd missed from last year's crop a few weeks ago, and they tasted amazing. You're right; the first crop of new potatoes is one of the most eagerly awaited events of the year!

Are you doing sweet potatoes again this year?

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Ooh, I am jealous! Look how lovely and white they are! My tatties have flower buds.. I've only earthed half of them up. Have to get back there this week to earth up the rest. If it would stop raining for a bit ..

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Knitters Notebook said...

Those potatoes look great! I can't wait until we get our home grown potatoes.

Great Blog!

Renee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>