Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Buddy and the Beans

He hasn't quite mastered the art of walking on the paths yet! so supervision is the name of the game when Buddy comes down to the allotment. Here he is admiring my dwarf beans. I have planted some purple 'Royalty' (I liberated some seed pods from the compost heap at the Lost Gardens of Heligan a few years ago). The other beans are a white and pink variety 'Poinciana' (Which I liberated from George Washington's garden at Mount Vernon last year)
Runner beans are racing away. You can never overwater runner beans. These are different coloured flowers, peach, yellow, white, red and purple. You can just about see they are underplanted with French marigolds.

After my success last year with my first crop of sweet potatoes, I managed to overwinter some cuttings from last year's crop. Here growing in a pot in the greenhouse. I will have to give it something to climb up.

I just love the silver mottled markings on these courgette plants. I grow 'Defender' as they seem to be resistant to mosaic virus and they are extremely heavy cropping. I ate my first courgettes yesterday.

Beetroots 'Detroit' and 'Perfect' are coming along nicely. These are just about golfball size and ready for thinning out. Growing these varieties for the first time this year. Up till now just out of habit, I had always grown 'Boltardy' till I read that there are much, much better varieties. Let's see!

2 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

your veggies are looking fab, I am stil eating salad and small potatoes, and I can't wait for other things to start cropping. no patience!!

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

I got my beans in late. They're still puney. I'll post a pic. Your garden is doing nicely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>