Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, June 08, 2007

The fruits of Spring


A few weeks ago I took a trip down to Tiverton for the day to meet a friend at Blundells school. On the way there I had an hour to spare so I took a short detour to Cheddar. Having sampled the excellent cheese, and scrumpy.... I visited a local village shop to purchase some clotted cream. Outside this village shop were a few veggie plants, so as a memorable souvenir I bought a 'Butternut Squash'. This is incredibly early and the bush is now covered with little squashes. It also looks at this early stage as if they are all female flowers too! I've not grown butternut before. Looks promising.
Everything seems to be getting bigger day by day at the moment. Lots of the tomatoes have set and are progressing well. Here is one of my 'Tigerella' tomatoes which I am trying for the first time this year. Even as young fruitlets they are beautiful, but the proof of the pudding, of course, is in the eating. The packet said they are prolific and resistant to greenback.
PS. I've now got broadband!! pictures took a fraction of the time to upload to blogger. Hooray!

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Butternuts are awesome! They are a great tasting squash and they store really well too. I planted 8 plants this year. Another one you should look out for next year is the gemsquash, variety Rolet is good. They are wonderful, single serving squash and mine have already started. I can't wait!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Thank you for the recommendation! I am always looking to try something new each year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>