Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Trip to Madeira


I've just come back from a wonderful short break on the island of Madeira. All round the countryside you will find Madeirans growing their own fruit and veg on a little patch of rich volcanic soil, clinging to steep hillsides. The sheer variety of fruit and vegetables is tremendous. There are hundreds of varieties of familiar fruit and vegetables, most of which are on sale at the market in Funchal (above). The second picture is of 'cherry guavas' bite sized guavas which were delicious. The Madeirans have a farmers co-operative so that if you only grow a few bananas in your own back garden, you can still sell them to earn a living. Sweet potatoes are grown year round by most people. The name of the island's capital is Funchal, which is Portugese for fennel which is also grown here.
When I go on holiday I visit the DEFRA website and establish what my personal import legislation states I am able to bring back into the UK. From the EEC, apparently, we are all one big happy family and there are few regulations on which fresh fruit, veg and flowers you can bring back to the UK ... so I did !

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I would love to visit Madeira and I am especially envious of the guavas! I grew up eating these straight from the tree as a child and miss them immensely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>