Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Making Seville Orange Marmalade

Perfect timing, it was raining and windy today, and a wonderful time to make a batch of Seville orange marmalade. As you can see from the above photo, they are not at all like sweet oranges.







Quite a bit of preparation beforehand, and an overnight soaking to release the pectin from the pips and the pith. Not to mention several hours of boiling and reducing before adding the sugar.


Then we end up with a wonderful, sweet golden, sticky jam which is then bottled and labelled. Perfect!





6 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Noreen has been busy making marmalade which I'm sure she'll be posting on our blog soon. I've just bought my first few sticks of rhubarb to make some preserve hopefully. I don't have any in the garden, but I'm seriously considering making some space for a veg plot. But it will mean, reducing the amount of herbaceous perennials that I love. Oh for more space!
Margaret and Noreen at THY

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Thanks for this lovely blog. The marmalade looks splendid-- I didn't know that orange pips were so high in pectin...

~Cynthia on Vancouver Island

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, looks and sounds delicious Matron. Do you use organic Seville oranges? I made some marmelade with the oranges and kumquats growing in my conservatory. It was delicious!

BTW how is the weather with you? On the telly I see nothing but floods and snowstorms in Britain at the mo.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Yolanda, No I don't think they were organic oranges, they are difficult to find here anyway. The weather has been fine down here in London! Lots of fine, sunny dog walking weather!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Looks great, will we be seeing it in it's bottled glory? x

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger greenagirl said...

I'm new to the blog world and just figured out how to leave a comment. The pictures at your site are gorgeous and creative. What kind of camera do you use?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>