Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bargain of the Week!

Strolling through Woolies today I couldn't resist this bargain. Growmore is a good, basic plant fertilizer with an NPK ratio of 7:7:7 let me explain. N = Nitrogen , P = Phosphorus (pentoxide), K = Potassium. These are the 3 main nutrients needed for plant growth. You will see these ratios on most proprietary fertilizers. Growmore indicates that there is 7% Nitrogen, 7% Phosphorus and 7% Potassium. You may see higher values in fertilizers for different uses, for example a high potash fertilizer is used in products such as tomato food (tomorite) the NPK shown on the packet will be formulated to provide exactly what they need 4:4:8. Growmore was introduced during World War 2 as 'National Growmore' when everyone 'dug for victory'
Good news on the mushroom front!! Just one week after sowing the mushroom kit - there are signs of life! A white mould growing on the surface casing. Excitement abounds. Watch this space.

9 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, Its always good to get a bargin isn't it. They sometimes have a stall near the exit of our local garden centre where they sell off their shop soiled goods cheap. I think the idea is that you go there last on your way out but I always visit there first just in case. I had a mushroom kit last year which I enjoyed and managed to get some nice mushrooms unfortunately not everyone was so enthusiastic about it cluttering up the spare room! I'm not sure about this but I sort of think you sent me your email address for an invite to the 'Secret Garden', if you did I'm afraid I must have got a bit carried away with the delete button on my email because I can no longer find it. So if you want an invite just email me again, my address is on my profile page, and I will have no problem about sending you an invite. Best wishes, Bob.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Heather @ Wiggly Wigglers said...

This looks like the lunch box that I found in my husband's car!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, I just sent you an invite to the Secret Garden, please let me know if you don't get it or have problems. Bob.

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite a few years ago at our previous house, I bought two bags of spent mushroom compost and put it on our little veg plot. In the summer we had wonderful mushrooms!
Margaret and Noreen at THY

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Billie-Jean said...

Hi Matron
What a flippin bargain!
BUT I have to say there is a better bargain to be had,do you have a Wilkinsons store? Well there are 2 boxes of Growmore for £2 making them £1 each or £1.29 each if bought seperate. Quite a few gardening bargains in there at the moment too...let me know if you do have a Wilkinsons store near you...maybe they are a Northern thing...
Take care Billie-Jean

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Good luck with the mushrooms. x

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh, mushrooms! I wondered if you could grow them "small scale". How are they getting on?

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all, we have a Wilkinsons in Poole, It is excellent for gardening bits and bobs. Matron I love your blog! It is so inspiring. I too grow my own veggies, this is year two for me. Please check out my blog on windows spaces live, (I would love to know what you think.) It is karens space windows live spacees. Keep up the good work, Karen

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

Purchased two of said boxes wise one and it's all been added into the beds.

Thanks for that.

Billie Jean we do have Wilko's down here and that's where I have been getting my fruit plants for my guerilla gardening project .

£1 a steal , if I'm passing by an I have my Xtracycle and a few loose coins , I regularly swift a few and plant some of the hardier plants in the wooded area at the rear of mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>