Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Found in my Compost Heap!

These two are permanent residents of my compost heap! I put 3 layers of carpet offcuts and a plastic sheet on top of my heap in the Winter to keep it protected, these two frogs have found a home between the layers! What sensible creatures they are! Plenty of protection from the elements, and copious quantities of snails, slugs and worms to eat. I really positive sign to me that despite my use of slug pellets occasionally, I have a reasonably healthy garden. They are slightly different colours - I wonder if they are male and female?? I wonder how they are going to celebrate St Valentines Day? hmmm
I took advantage of a beautiful sunny day this week to pot up a couple of my strawberry plants into a pot in the greenhouse. Hopefully I will have an ultra-early crop of fresh strawberries. Those of us that grow our own will appreciate the taste of anything that is JUST that little bit earlier than the rest. I have also planted a couple of ultra early 'Rocket' seed potatoes in the greenhouse as well. The sunny days are almost warm inside the greenhouse, but the nights are still well below freezing. Roll on Spring!

8 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always surprised at the creatures I find in and around my garden and compost.

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My frogs always seem to have "two heads" for St Valentines day, cant imagine what they are doing.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

You are the second person I've read who plants potatoes in the greenhouse. Do you use pots or some type of box? Is this for an early start and then you plant out in the more suitable weather?

Your garden is healthy if is it supporting wildlife. This idea was what got me motivated to build the pond and plant certain herbs, flowers and veggies. I wanted to attract butterflies, toads, hummingbirds and beneficials of all kinds. I succeeded!

PS ..I wouldn't be lifting the covers off the frogs on Valentines Day! ;D If your lucky they'll raise their family in your garden.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Primrozie - I turn big compost bags inside out so that the outside is black, this makes them warm up quicker. Just two or three early new potatoes should be up just a few weeks before your outdoor ones. It is gardening tradition here to plant your potatoes outside on Good Friday.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Priscilla George said...

What adorable little frogs. It's such a great feeling to find natures creatures enjoying what you do. It's nice to know that you aren't disrupting the natural order. Good luck on the bountiful strawberries!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Billie-Jean said...

Hi Matron...loving the frogs..I was turning my compost the other and a field mouse jumped out at me! frikened me..but no cute frogs i'm afraid...

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Jeremy Dore (GrowVeg.com) said...

What a great place to have your frogs over-winter. Attracting them to my garden seems to be a bit more erratic, particularly when I manage to get hot composting going - might be a bit to steamy in there even for valentines day frogs!

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use slug pellets from time to time, too. Fairly unapologetic about it, because when needs must it's still better to make the odd organic compromise to get a successful crop than to give up on growing it... and buy from the wretched supermarket (with everything that implies).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>