Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, February 29, 2008

Heritage Seed Bank in Svalbard

Stories in the news this week of scientists building an underground vault in the frozen arctic archipelago of Spitzbergen, Norway. Millions of precious seed varieties kept in permanently frozen conditions at about -20degrees. Excellent idea.
So I thought you might like to see what Svalbard looks like...
When I went up there in 2006...
600 miles from the North Pole. Take a closer look at my profile picture too!

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Louise said...

Hi Matron, thanks for your comment of my 'unemployable' post! Yes, I shall keep busy, I have just been out to buy a couple of trays of bedding, to bring myself good cheer, I shall be outside in a minute to put them in. Are those siberian huskies in the picture, if so, my great aunt loves those. I would love to get myself a job within a seed bank, how great a job would that be! x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>