Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

A visit to Wisley

Today I visited the RHS garden at Wisley in Surrey. One of the reasons I enjoy my RHS membership is for the wonderful plant centre at the entrance to the gardens. Here I found an excellent selection of seed potatoes. My only complaint about them was that they were sold in such large quantities! I don't have space to grow many, so I like to buy a small selection of different varieties. I did, however, find a small packet of first earlies called Rocket. I grew these last year, they are described in the catalogue as 'ultra early' so these are the ones which I grow in a black bag in the greenhouse for an early, early treat.
The other reason I enjoy my membership of the RHS is to visit the model vegetable garden year round, and compare it to my own. This time of year is what gardeners refer to as 'the hungry gap' - there being little to harvest. These brussels sprout sticks were still in the ground, they looked like a strange plant from another planet!

In one corner of their potager was this lovely rhubarb forcing pot. Beautifully handcrafted by the Yorkshire flowerpot company. I have not yet attempted to force any of my rhubarb. My crowns are only a year old, and forcing rhubarb puts such a strain on the plant that it is only really suitable to do to older, stronger plants. Maybe in a couple of years time when I have more plants I might try it, but not yet.

Blog readers might remember my unsuccessful foray into the world of growing my own mushrooms earlier in the season last year. I thought I would give it a go again, this time with a kit in a box. The box comes with a bag of mushroom compost, with the spawn already impregnated in it, and a bag of compost as top casing layer. Please await update in 6 days (that is what it says on the box) fingers crossed this time!

8 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

What a great looking place! Very inspiring I would think. I will await your mushroom results with interest.

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also a member of the RHS (thanks to my father-in-law) and enjoy very much getting the Gardens magazine in the mail each month as well as visiting what gardens I can on the odd years we go to England. I haven't managed to get to Wisley yet. Thanks for the glimpse.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Ahhh... I want to visit the garden treasures you have there! Maybe the dollar will strengthen some day. I cannot believe those Sprouts. Mine should look like that but there is no harvesting at all. I'll try again this year, starting earlier, but there must be something else they want.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger The Diva said...

I want to go there too. Those bags of seed potatoes were so large that I thought they were for consumption. Thanks for taking us on your little trip.~~Dee

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to visit my nearest RHS garden, Harlow Carr. Even the drive there is lovely.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

It's a great place .

TX , whilst not veggies , here are some shots from Wisley , that I did 2 summers ago

Wisley RHS Gardens - a photoset on Flickr

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Good luck with growing your own mushrooms, Matron! Gorgeous forcing pot, I have one too, a Dutch handmade one. :-)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Louise said...

I'd love one of those rhubarb forcers, shame they are so damned expensive. x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>