Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, February 02, 2008

What are you giving up for Lent?

Next Tuesday is Shrove Tuesday, aka Mardi Gras or Pancake Day. This is the beginning of Lent in the Christian calendar. Whether you are a believer or not it is traditional and a worthwhile exercise to 'give up' something for Lent.

For the past few years I have given up shopping in big supermarkets for Lent. I take the opportunity to empty my store cupboard, take something from the freezer, use local shops and markets, and try to find local producers and growers and patronize local growers. I really detest what the big supermarkets are doing to our environment and how they abuse British farmers. There is a really useful website at Bigbarn where you just put in your local UK postcode and they will show you all the local producers, farms and shops near you. It is not meant to be easy, I saved many hundreds of pounds over the 40 days. Would anyone like to join me?

9 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Beautiful photo. From your garden? I love the idea of giving up something for Lent that gives back as well...

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger The Diva said...

I was afraid, at first, that you were suggesting we give up vegetables. I looked into a coop here in Oklahoma, and I think I'll do it this summer.~~Dee

Oh, what am I giving, gee, I don't know yet.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger kate said...

What a good idea to give up shopping in big grocery stores. I wonder if there is a similar website here.

Your basket of veggies looks scrumptious!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Cracking idea and very useful website. Thanks!

That barrowfull of produce looks great too. :)

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

I had no idea what to give up for lent so thats a great idea, will give it a go!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Great pic, it all looks so very yummy!

I live in a small village and try to buy as much stuff as I can from the local shops and markets. I even visit some farmers for fresh eggs, organic potatoes, spinach and such. It's very important that we keep going to our local shops before they all disappear!!!!

I like your idea to give up shopping in big supermarkets for Lent and will give that a try because I do shop at those too. Not very often, but still .....

BTW I'm glad to read that the weather is not too bad where you live!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger kate said...

Your comment about Charlie Chaplin and the Gold Rush made me laugh ... yes, that was what it was like here. I almost felt like eating my boot too!

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, we have almost given up using big supermarkets and try to shop at the local greengrocers, bakers, and butchers and use the weekly markets in our local towns. I have to say it's not always easy, but then, once you get out of the habit of shopping in supermarkets you realise what a soul destroying experience it is. We find it much more fun to buy produce in season, not wrapped in plastic but put in a brown paper bag. And much cheaper. We only buy what we want and have stopped being seduced by clever marketing. Sorry, didn't mean to get so carried away!
Margaret and Noreen at THY

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to be such a late-comer to this post on lent...very late, since tomorrow is Easter. But I love the invitation you put out to give up the supermarket for a bit--and especially in the context of lent.

I try very hard to eat from my garden, freezer, pantry, farmers' market and to buy from local growers and local merchants as much as possible. It's not easy where I live because the growing season is so short.

But easy isn't everything. I mean look where "convenience" has led us! I eat better for my struggles and efforts, more healthfully, more cheaply (as you say), more thoughtfully, and with more satisfaction.

Thanks for re-inspiring me!!

Deborah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>