Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Happy Saint David's Day!

Today is St David's Day. St David is the patron Saint of Wales. It is traditional to wear either a daffodil or a leek in your lapel today! I was thrilled to see that HRH Prince Charles had a mini leek pinned to his lapel today when he went to RAF Brize Norton to pick up his youngest Son.
To celebrate, I went down to the allotment and picked two of my last leeks. Those toilet rolls had really helped blanch the stems. I am particularly proud of these two.
Otherwise I spent this lovely sunny day pottering about in the greenhouse, inspecting and watering my little seedlings. My chilli 'Scotch Bonnet' has germinated well, I saved the seed from some peppers I bought in a West Indian grocers. They are lethally hot!
You might spot that I have saved plastic cutlery from the canteen at work and re-use them as plant labels.
The shallots are starting to sprout leaves. I am a bit worried about some patches of sooty mould appearing between the layers of dry skin. I hope that when they get planted outside and start putting roots down into the soil, this will clear up.

10 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, what a delight to see such an interesting and lively blog. Happy St. David's Day to you, too...

Carole.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

My pack said just to planyt out nothing about leaving them on the surface to do what yours have done , have I messed up ?

Nice Recycling as well.

Planted out 25 baby sycamore trees yesterday in the deciduous woodland yesterday evening , the company in the pub sucked so , I went out and did some more nocturnal planting.

Happy Mummy's Day to you , Buddy told me he might forget and so I was to tell you on his behalf.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Stan.. you mean the shallots? I don't think it matters how high or low you plant them. Actually I did plant them quite low, in a little hole and when the roots bury down the shallots push up!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Those leeks looks fantastic, perfect for St Davids day! Well done :)

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger fiona said...

Matron, that's a great recycle .. using the cutlery for your plant labels! Love it :-)

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Aiyana said...

I've learned something new visiting here. I did not know about Saint David's Day before reading about it here. Interesting how one can choose between a leek and a dafodil to commemorate.
Aiyana

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger this is my patch said...

What a beautiful daffodil, they are lovely aren't they. As are your leeks, as they have been a success maybe you may grow more this year? I have still got them coming out of my ears as I planted them quite late. I haven't ever thought of using plastic cutlery for plant labels, I shall be keeping any I come across in future, that is a really great idea. I do keep lolly sticks as I use this as a good excuse to keep buying them in the summer. x

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Heather @ Wiggly Wigglers said...

Hi Matron,

Brilliant recycling - I know my comment isn't original, but I just had to say it anyway.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger kate said...

I didn't know this was St. David's Day - I like the idea of wearing a leek or a daffodil.

Your leeks are beautiful - the shallots are sprouting nicely too.

Great idea saving plastic cutlery ...

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger JD said...

I've also been bringing home some leeks ( and spring onions) from the plot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>