Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Re-cycling for gardeners

A few years ago we were clearing out all my Father's clothes and taking them to the charity shops. A brilliant idea struck me as I was laughing my head off at the sight of his old fashioned string vest. You know the kind that you see English tourists wearing when they have a knotted handkerchief on their heads by the seaside? Anyway, I sowed the bottom together with some string and produced this great onion sack! Just the job for storing onions and shallots!

6 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Louise said...

My grandpa still wears those, but he lives in Mallorca, so I cannot pinch his! Great idea, and good recycling! x

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that! Just reach through the armholes and pick out an onion.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

I love it. That would make the check out girl at the grocery really look at me funny

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Heather @ Wiggly Wigglers said...

Hi Matron,

I had a little chuckle at this, but what a great recycling idea. As long as my old man doesn't get any ideas about my underwear if I shuffle off first!!!

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Great idea! Glad those can be seen somewhere besides in the US. I just did a recycling type post too.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did well to brave the elements! With the snow and frost forecast for next week I'm a tad worried about my potatoes... hope I planted them deep enough!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>