Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Taking a chance - planting out

My beautiful purple podded peas have started to flower. Many thanks to Celia who suggested a seed swap earlier in the year. The plants are about 3ft tall now and looking good.
The weather has taken a warm turn the last week or so, the temperature has been up in the 70s most days and fairly warm most nights. I took a chance and planted out my sweet corn today. Sweet corn is wind pollinated so you must plant corn in blocks rather than lines. The pollen falls from a tuft on the top of the plant, and reaches the tassles on the cobs down below.
I also planted out a few more tomato plants, and one of my courgette Defender, in a black plastic dustbin. It is always taking a chance when you decide to plant out. We might be very unlucky and get a late frost... or we might not.
More family news..... my Sister has given her chickens names....
Tikka and Korma.

6 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger gintoino said...

LOL, does your sister have any plans of turning them into Indian food?

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Christa said...

I've been asking myself the same question lately: Is it safe to plant out? I think I am going to go for it and plant my tomatoes this weekend.
Your purple pea flowers are beautiful!

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger WeekendFarmer said...

oh no....they are going to be korma and tikka??? : ) that is so funny! How about egg korma from the organic, fresh eggs they will lay??

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Beautiful flowers Matron!

Celia ;)

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger WeekendFarmer said...

Matron - our eggs are hatching...Come visit to see the chics. http://weekendfarmer.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger tina said...

Very nice blog! Different take by focusing only on veggies. I will visit often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>