Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Back to Dear old Blighty!

I've just returned from a wonderful week in The Azores. I will try to stay on the topic of growing fruit and vegetables but please excuse me for going off topic for a while. As you can see I have been watching whales.
Many different speces of whales and dolphins swim in the waters around the Azores. The ones we spotted here are sperm whales, we approached and switched the boat engine off and they just glide right past the boat, then after about 10 minutes they reward us with a deep dive, affording us the chance to take the classic 'whale tail' photograph.
We also visited a pineapple plantation on the island of Sao Miguel, these wooden glasshouses are past their best, and sadly the majority of them have disappeared and the land sold to build new houses. I will blog on 'how to grow pineapples' at a later date.
The temperature inside these glasshouses was a bit hotter than your average sauna!
One of the most famous views on the island is over the two lakes of the volcanic crater at Sete Cidades. One lake is green and one is blue, the distance from one side of the crater to the other is about 8 miles!
Lots of common dolphins too!
And Europe's only tea plantation - there was a small factory rolling, drying and packing the tea. I have yet to taste the packet that I bought there - apparently it is awful!!!

7 Comments:

At 2:47 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Beautiful pictures! I hope you had a wonderful time. Growing pineapples? Hmm. You've got my interest.

Welcome back.

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Ashtray Salvage said...

Fantastic photos, wow it all looks great! Thanks from Maggie and the dogs.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time in the Azores. I'm just back from exotic Scotland! ;-)

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Tira said...

ust watching those pics of the whales and dolphin s is relaxing! I can imagine what a wonderful experience it must have been. Buddy must be happy you're back.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

That looks like a good holiday - so much to see and the view is amazing. Hope your plot and Buddy have been well behaved.

Celia

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

A whale tail is a called a fluke BTW.

I ache to be diving back among these sensible animals and living back in the tree house and away from the pest that is Human Beans.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger tina said...

Are those hydrangeas? Wow! Beautiful animals and looks like fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>