Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Matron's TRUGBLOG!

Welcome to Matron's TRUGBLOG a big thank you to everyone who has contributed, what a fantastic colourful range of home grown veggies! When world food prices are soaring and supermarket veggies are poor quality, soon everyone will want what we've got. Can I ask you please to share your knowledge and enthusiasm, share and swap your seeds, extra plants, and gluts of veggies.... tell your friends and neighbours what they are missing. *****
One last minute offering from Kris at Losing Sleep Counting Sheep surely one of the best blog names I've heard. I just love these yellow courgettes!
*****
Just in time for this June blog came my first ripe tomatoes 'Gardenperle' a tumbling tomato in a hanging basket, also new this year is Black forest climbing courgette. A really tasty cherry tomato, at least I think they were tasty... more to follow. *****
What a brilliant picture from Rob at his Sustainable Garden blog. Just a superb illustration of the veggies we are harvesting this June. Rob digs in Nottingham. Thanks Rob *****
This beautiful selection comes from Celia at Purple Podded Peas. Celia is a champion of old heritage varieties of vegetables such as the Victorian purple podded peas pictured here. Celia grows her veg in Suffolk. *****
My heartfelt thanks go to She who Digs for allowing me to post this picture of baby 'Digger' at just 10 days old. Baby Digger is currently growing in Hastings, Sussex Thank you both. *****
I couldn't resist showing you my other pride and joy! Buddy really enjoys helping around the garden too! His favourite luxury food at the moment is asparagus tips! *****
What a perfect selection of June veggies from Marigold. She apologises for including flowers in this arrangement, but assures me that they are all edible.. so I forgive her at once! Marigold lives in London. *****
Just look at these vibrant colours in the trug from Gintoino at Jardim com Gatos his 'Garden with Cats' in Portugal. Growing vegetables is so much a part of life in Portugal, one of my favourite places to spend a holiday. *****
A million thanks go to Stan my blog-mentor. Without him I would not be blogging - with my encouragement he has been able to present his virgin trug this year! Three cheers for a brand new allotmenteer! - Oh, and Stan lives right at the end of the runway at Farnborough, Hampshire *****
Here is a wonderful selection of June harvest from DaVikka who lives in Cricklewood, London. As you can see she also presents two offerings from Tikka and Korma. *****
Just look at these beautiful beets and red onions from Primrozie in Pennsylvania - this looks like the makings of a wonderful salad! Hope you have a wonderful July 4th celebration this week! *****
Truggers come from far and near, this beautiful plate came from the Well Read Gardener in Arkansas. There are 57 green beans - not 57 varieties. *****
Here is a beautiful continental selection from Mas du Diable, as you may be able to see from these beautiful onions, these were grown in France! These are French beans of course, yellow courgettes and golden Greek perperoncini. *****
Here is Karen's fantastic offering - I am really jealous of that fennel, it looks superb. Surely one of the biggest hauls this Spring! *****
Well... those tomatoes did look rather nice... I think I'll just.... while she's got both hands on the camera!!



The END

7 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Forget the Chelsea Flower Show, this is wonderful! Thank you!

Celia

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Kris said...

What a great display! The baby in the trug is an especially good specimen.

I am proud my little bowl made it in but I just realized I should have given you more info. The veggies were grown in New Jersey and we do have lots of success with yellow courgettes; I suspect it has a lot to do with all the sheep manure we use to dress our beds. I blog at http://losingsleepcountingsheep.blogspot.com and hope to have more garden pictures posted soon.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger The Allotment Blogger said...

This is the best display of vegetable beauty I've ever seen! Next year I hope to have my own display to show - this year we'd have had new potatoes only.

Note to self - buy a trug!

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific selection, and such great pictures. Shame on me for not contributing!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Beautiful veges and display. Very inspiring. You take beautiful photos. My friend attempted pineapple in a greenhouse from the top cutting. Took him 2 years but it was very tiny.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger tlchang said...

What a yummy assortment.

Here in the Pacific Northwest (US) we've had an uncommonly cold spring, so things are just starting to pick up. Lots of leafy greens, strawberries, and of course, those edible flowers!

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

thats lovely, to see everybodys good efforts!! well done everybody and thank you Matron for putting it all together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>