Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Red Spider Mite Control

Following the recent purchase of some nematode worms to combat slugs in the garden, I have just purchased some Phytoseiulus from Defenders to help control the inevitable infestation of red spider mite each year in my greenhouse.
Red spider mite are tiny little sandy coloured mites that crawl all over your leaves and spoil and eventually kill leaves or leaves them a discoloured sandy colour. The phytoseiulus bugs are contained in this vial of vermiculite, and once arrived in the post they should be deployed immediately. Their eggs hatch and their larvae devour red spider mite. That is the theory!
I've not tried it before but seems like a good idea as I have had bad problems with red spider mite in the past.
Meanwhile elsewhere in the garden the strawberries are just fantastic at the moment. That top dressing of wood ash in the early Spring has really made the difference.
And look! my first little pumpkin. These are a beautiful heritage variety Rouge Vif D'Etamps, fingers crossed for some hot weather now to get them going. They are trailing well and I have been foliar feeding with diluted comfrey liquid.
Speaking of the need for heat.. here are my okra Clemsons spineless plants in the greenhouse. I am amazed they are still alive, but they just need a little boost of hot weather. Last time we had a few warm days they doubled in size, since then they have just existed.

4 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness - you've got really good tomatoes already. Mine are miles off!

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Your strawberries look fantastic. I get hungry every time I visit your blog :)

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger beckie said...

Good luck with your spider mite control. Your strawberries look so good. It is strawberry time here too and they are really great this year. I have tomoto envy.:) And that pumkin should just aboutbe the right size for Halloween!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger platsimple said...


It is very helpful tips for me. I defiantly use your tips in my work. Thank you for nice tips.
Treat Spider Mites

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>