Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Fruits of my Toil

OK, OK so Matron doesn't do flowers.... but here is one very rare exception to the rule. You see, a friend gave me the seedlings and he wouldn't take no for an answer... so as not to avoid hurting his feelings... I grew them. 8ft tall and still growing - beautiful aren't they?
Here is Fort Knox, Stalag Luft Hillingdon, Colditz.. whatever you call it here is my latest construction to keep the pests off my broccoli. Let the battle begin!
Above is an Acorn Squash - Table Queen.
And here is a squash Delicata - which I understand is also known as a sweet potato squash.
These are a bush tomato I am growing in a hanging basket - variety Garden Pearl.
Just a couple of snaps to illustrate some of the watering problems that exist.. above has split due to overwatering.
And here is a classic case of blossom end rot.. due to erratic or underwatering when the tomato was small. I think I have had some blockage problems in the tubing in my automatic watering system in the greenhouse. I have just undone it all, flushed it through, cleaned it and put it together again. Lets see what happens.

8 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice sunflowers, and don't forget you can eat the seeds!

So , its really a veg ?

Reads Retreat woz ere !

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Scarecrow said...

Hi Matron
Over here they reckon Blossom End Rot is a sign of calcium deficiency as well as watering problems.
This could account for the pumpkin problem too. (see my email from earlier this week)

Here we use gypsum in our soils to provide calcium without increasing soil alkalinity (which we don't need to do) but otherwise dolomite or lime would work.

I could be wrong but this is something to consider.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Scarecrow! - that's interesting, a bit too much of a coincidence given what you said about my pumpkins as well. In London the soil is acid and clay based so we are probably lacking in lime in the soil. I have read on a linked blog (grow better veggies) that when planting tomatoes they put an aspirin, broken eggshell and a fish head under each tomato plant!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

Pwetty Pwetty Sun Flower, my garden is now awash with them after careless birds have spilt their din din's

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Nice sunflower Matron. We used to make bird feeders out of them. My kids also love to eat them. One year though they had worms. Ugh.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Scarecrow said...

Thanks for the link about the aspirin Matron...it was mentioned on TV over here last year but we couldn't find any more information about it.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brassicas did twice as well once they were netted. I don't know why the idea only came to me last year.
I had to give up putting a drip watering system in my greenhouse. I grow everything in pots and it was impossible to get a reliable flow per pot. If I grew in the ground it might have been easier to set up.

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger HelloPame said...

All I can say is WOW! Your garden and your veggies are AMAZING!

Thank you for sharing all your experiences with those of us green with envy ☺☺☺

...blackberries...yuuuuum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>