Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Good year for Blackberries

Has anyone noticed how many blackberries are around this year? It seems to me as if there is a real glut this year, the hedgerows are loaded with them, and the blackberries in my garden are just fantastic.
It is fortunate therefore that it also looks to be a good year for my Bramley apple tree which I have had to thin out considerably. Apple and Blackberry are two flavours that just melt together perfectly. Anyone for crumble?

8 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Apples and blackberries - a marriage made in heaven!
The hedgerows around here are seriously lacking in the wild plums I gathered last year for jam and chutney. Some years you win, this year you lose. I think it was late frosts at blossom time that saw them off.

Enjoy your fruit!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger marigold said...

mmm. Blackberry and Apple crumble sounds awesome. Would you happen to know when the crab-apples ripen?

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummy! those pics are very nice

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Matron said...

veg heaven - I came to the same conclusion about my plum tree. Just 4 plums on the whole tree this year. I am sure we had a late frost when it was in blossom.
Marigold - the crab apples I use are usually ready at the end of August

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Jane Perrone, Horticultural blog said...

You're right about the blackberries - just got my first haul off the patch by the pub car park that has the best berries I've ever tasted. Destined for a crumble, I think, although I also want to try blackberry jam or jelly too ...

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger this is my patch said...

Yes please. I have the brambles but not cookers! x

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's strange seeing people growing blackberries in their gardens!
As my grandparents house, blackberries are a noxious weed (a yummy one though!). All through the pine plantations and on the riverbanks are masses of blackberry bushes.

About the only thing that will kill them (other than expensive poison) is goats... and that's a whole other story!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Maddie said...

Do you grow raspberries as well? We get so many raspberries that I have to make jam out of them because no one in my family can eat so many!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>