Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Green Tomato Chutney

Following on from my previous post, today I was out in the garden salvaging all the green tomatoes I could before the blight takes them all. These are some of the larger beefsteak tomatoes, Country Taste but there were lots of others. I made the most wonderful batch of green tomato chutney today. You will have to make a spice bag, I used star anise, cloves, coriander seed, mustard seed, allspice berries, mace. Bundle them up in a little muslin bag and tie with string. (don't forget to take it out when it's cooked!)
4 pounds green tomatoes, chopped, 1pound shallots, 2 pounds cooking apples, 2 pints malt vinegar, 2 jalapeno chillis, grated fresh ginger.
Boil these veggies in 2 pints of vinegar and spice bag for about 40 minutes until slightly thicker and reduced. Then add 1 pound sugar, 8oz raisins and 1teaspoon salt and boil until it reaches the colour and thickness you want. Keep stirring as it may stick to the pan.

6 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Kath said...

My Dad always used to make green tomato chutney. I usually try to ripen them - greenhouse helps - but I love making chutney. Damson and crab apple was last year's favourite.

Have your unhybridised Sungold's ripened by the way?

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Thanks for the recipe Matron, it will come in handy at one time or other. Last year I had blight too so it's bound to happen again.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Veg Heaven - no the Sungold(ish) tomatoes stayed exactly as you saw in the post weeks ago. Neither the greenhouse nor the outdoor tomatoes ripened fully. I will have to fork out next year for some proper F1 seed because I do love them so!

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Matron - I have put up the raw sauce recipe that I was talking about after a bit of a delay. Here is the link/

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Sounds a really great spicy recipe. How much ginger did you add?

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Joe said...

What nice-looking tomatoes! I bet they were delicious.

The recipe sounds great, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>