Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Before the First Frosts..

I am so pleased with my pumpkins Rouge Vif D'Etamps. Every day the colour just gets darker and darker.
Just one pepper in the greenhouse, quite a few peppers on it, they are juicy and so sweet.
I made a second, later planting of runner beans Enorma, and they are still going strong well into October now. Make the most of it till the first frost comes.
I have a crop of borlotti-type beans still waiting for some sun to ripen them. These are from an old heritage variety I 'liberated' from George Washington's heritage vegetable garden at Mount Vernon, Virginia a couple of years ago. I think the variety is Vermont Cranberry.
Only a few courgettes left on the bush Defender variety. This really is very resistant to mosaic virus I used to suffer until I switched to this one. Highly recommended.

8 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Beautiful zucchini's, just the right size for my liking. I just made some fried zucchini, I cut them into a french fry shape, dipped in buttermilk and then into corn meal and fried them up. I then add a spritz of lemon juice and salt, It was spectacular.

Glade to hear you enjoyed your trip to North America. I bet that lobster was good and those wild blueberries are the best, I pick them up at the market every year when they are in season.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of adding wheels to my Rouge Vif D'Etamps. I could then use it as an occasional table or a footstool. Makes more sense than trying to come up with enough recipes to use it up.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Ottawa Gardener said...

Are the beans speckled inside? If so, then I think I've solved a bean mystery. Your squash is fantastic looking, and I am happy to hear about a zuke that's mosaic resistant.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Ottawa gardener - yes, the beans are white with purple spots. Most of the Borlotti family are like this, but there are many individual varieties.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Green thumb said...

What a colorful extravaganza! I am sure if i could grow such healthy looking vegetables in my garden, i could afford to care a little less for my flowers.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

love the pumpkin!! my courgettes are finished now, the last two went into some lovely soup. still some in the freezer from earlier in the year.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

We had our first frost here on Friday night I think, at least some people's plots got frost bitten but mine escaped this time...love the pumpkin, such a rich deep orange. Will have to grow some next year.

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

That is quite the harvest for Oct! What will you do with the pumpkin? Any favorite recipes to share? - Paula

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>