Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Reading material

It is the catalogue season again! Almost daily a new seed catalogue for 2009 pops through the letterbox. A special area of interest for next year for me will be the huge numbers of new and old tomato varieties. It seems that so many varieties are coming to us from Eastern Europe and from much colder climates. I think next year I will have a go at growing one of the black, purple or chocolate coloured varieties. Black Krim and Black Russian spring to mind. I do insist on flavour being the primary objective. Can anyone recommend a really tasty black/purple/brown tomato?
On the subject, I have posted a few more tomato varieties found at West Dean Gardens.
All shapes and sizes.
All different colours and textures.
If only I had room to try them all !
I think I am becoming addicted to growing tomatoes! If this doesn't give you your fix, then perhaps a couple of websites might satisfy your cravings. Try www.tomatogrowers.com and www.tomatofest.com These are websites in the USA, but perhaps I might find a way.......

9 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I grew Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes this year. They have a very nice flavor but the skin is a little thick, not really off putting but a little thicker then normal. It was the most productive tomato I had this year and grew a nice smaller sized fruit, good for salad for two. Not sure where the Japanese comes from through, they are from Russia.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Rob said...

What do you do with all the Tomatoes? I only had six plants and I still threw half the Tomatoes away. Bob.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

We had late season success this year with Marmand Temprano and Liguria. Both are excellent for cooking - smooth and sweet - yummy!!!

Celia

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patrick at Bifurcated Carrots recommended to me Black Cherry, Black Prince and Black Sea Man. He said they all tasted good. I know taste can be subjective but I think I'll give at least one of them a go. I grew Black Krim years ago but found it rather bland.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger The Allotment Blogger said...

We're growing Liguria next year, having tried some that a neighbour grew, and also an unnamed black tomato that another plot holder gave us to try - it was so tasty that I begged another fruit and saved the seeds!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I've got Black Krim - I'll second bland but it cooked ok - I also have black cherry and black sea man. The latter has a long season - you definitely need a greenhouse, but nicer flavour. Black cherry is a real hit here - if you fancy seeds of any of these, I can send you some - contact me with your address at the email on my blog.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

I have grown Nyagous two years in a row and been very happy with the taste, http://www.seedfest.co.uk/

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger VP said...

Oh I love seed catalogue time! And dreaming about how perfect my allotment will be next year.

 
At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matron
I really like Noir de Crimee. I've grown it for the last 3 years I think it has a big taste; smokey and slightly salty. I have seeds I can send you if you would like to try it. Also Black Cherry, the first year I grew it I thought it was poor but a second go and it prooved to be a great cherry with good deep flavours. I also grew Japanese Black Trifele this year because it is meant to have great flavour I thought it a bit weak on flavour but performed well and cropped consistently from early to late season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>