Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Sea Buckthorn - yet another superfood!

Matron has been to the seaside! Growing among the sand dunes of the Lincolnshire coast were these Sea Buckthorn berries. I remembered reading about them recently and discovered they are considered to be full of goodies! Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae Rhannoides) is also known as the Seaberry or Siberian Pineapple. You can find all sorts of remedies which are made from sea buckthorn oil. Considered to be a powerful antioxidant, anti inflamatory and has been clinically tested as a remedy for all sorts of medical problems.
I didn't pick any this time, the area was being patrolled by the Lincolnshire wildlife trust wardens.... why?? see below.

Altogether now?...... Aaaaaaaahhhh!

10 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Dan said...

yes.... aaahhhh! Nice photos matron.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Those are striking berries. And the baby seal, too sweet! Thanks for these pics

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Whooo. Been there - don't you get some fantastic photos too?

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice that you managed to see the seals.
One advantage of going out in November - lots of berries - on trees you wouldn't notice at any other time of the year.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Philip Bewley said...

Hi!
I love the seaside in the winter. Those berries are interesting, and who could resist the baby seal!
Philip

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger tina said...

Those are beautiful berries. I hope the seals are okay. Cute baby one.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger VP said...

I think I've seen Sea Buckthorn for sale, but also seem to recall harvesting the berries is rather sticky!

Love the seal photos too - have a great weekend!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Fantastic what a moment you must have had, great thank you for sharing. I pick the Buckthorn because they are truely a power fruit, it is a vitamin C bomb...

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Awwwwwww, how cute that baby seal with its mummy. I'm glad that somebody's been keeping an eye on them.

Must pick some buckthorn berries and try them.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Pine nut oil with Sea buckthorn berry said...

I love sea buckthorn berry - it is very popular here in Russia. My grandma has it at her own garden. Pine nut oil with sea buckthorn berry is also beneficial for health as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>