Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Gardeners at Play!

Well, I've arrived back from Seattle with a whole lot of fun stuff to tell you about. Most importantly I was able to meet with a group of garden bloggers in the area SAGBUTT - Seattle Area Garden Bloggers United to Talk. What a wonderful group of people! we spent more than 3 hours chatting and swapping. Special thanks go to Paula from Petunias-Garden for organizing and baking muffins! Assembled together were:
Melanthia from Garden Muse
Karen from Greenwalks
Paula from Petunias-Garden
Bob from Bobs Garden
Catherine from A Gardener in Progress
Molly from Life on Tiger Mountain
Curmudgeon from Weed Whackin Wenches
I was able to chat gardens and seeds with a whole lot of other enthusiasts. Thanks to Karen for the red yard-long beans to go with my green ones!
On my travels round the beautiful Washington state I came across several garden centers. Thrilled to come across some wonderful heritage seed varieties which I couldn't resist. Notably some 'Cream Sausage' tomatoes and 'Lazy Housewife' climbing beans which I have been meaning to try for years since seeing them grown in the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall.

14 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, cool! I'm going to Seattle at the end of May - thanks for the links to Seattle bloggers. Which garden nurseries do you recommend? Where did you pick up the Seed Saver's Exchange and Territorial seeds?

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Matron said...

I found a great garden center in Tenino on the road to Wolf Haven.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Kath said...

What bliss! Gardeners to talk to (non-gardeners do glaze over a bit don't they?) and heritage seeds by the bucketload!

It sounds like you had a truly brilliant week.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I'm glad you had fun. I learned a lot from you. I just started the Great Wall of China tomatoes yesterday! I love the name of the lazy housewife beans! That alone would make me buy them :)

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Lots of familiar looking seed companies. The cream sausage look very nice, I think I might have to try that one next year.

Glade to hear you trip went well.

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matron - It was so fun to meet you and hear all your veggie growing wisdom in person. I'm so glad you took home the yard-longs, I hope they germinate and grow well for you, since I never did get around to planting them! Passed along the Great Wall tomatoes to my mom, the tomato queen, so we'll see how they do here. Great that you got some Territorial seeds, they are a great company. Thanks so much for joining us, it was a real honor and treat!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Victoria Summerley said...

It sounds like a great trip. I love hearing about garden bloggers meeting up - whoever said people who communicate through their computers need to get out more had obviously never met any of us!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Wow! what fun!

Cream Sausage Tomatoes - can't wait to see how these turn out.

I grow Golden Sweet (from the HSL) but the snails love them a lot and get there before me!!!.

And Lazy Housewife - have been trying to track that down for years!.

Celia
x

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful that you got to meet up with some gardening bloggers! Very envious! I'd love to visit Seattle too.

The Lazy Housewife climbing beans sound like great fun, will be interested to see how they do!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Love the acronym and the sign! :-)

It seems to me that a lot of fun was had by you and all the others, which is as it should be. And I quite agree with Victoria. ;-)

A big cuddle and pat for Buddy, who must have missed you very much.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger allie aller said...

As a Washington state resident I have so enjoyed reading of your visit here.
And I love seeing those Territorial Seeds in your collection.
They are born and bred here in the Pacific Northwest, of course...and by now you know our climates are very similar.

Happy Growing to you, Matron!

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Luciana Onofre said...

Cuantas semillas!
Qué maravilla!
Felicitaciones por su encuentro :)

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger tina said...

I think it so wonderful you were able to meet up with other garden bloggers-and in another country too! What fun! If you ever get to Tennessee, be sure to let me know and we'll have to have a meet up here too. Glad you arrived home safe and sound too.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Flower Donegal said...

Wonderful to see all the gardeners getting together.

Thanks for sharing
Aanee xxx
Flowers Dublin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>