Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, March 14, 2009

PSB

I am really pleased with this ultra early purple sprouting broccoli 'Rudolph'. It first started cropping in late December and has continued right the way through till now. In a couple of weeks my regular March / April crop of PSB will start cropping and will continue through to May or June. A brilliant success of succession! This beautiful flower was picked and steamed and eaten all within the space of 15 minutes.

13 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

mmmm...must get myself some of that - I love PSB and I'm still waiting for mine!

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Purple brocolli? How come I've never come across one? How does it taste?

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have got a packet of Rudolph to sow this year. How tall do the plants grow? I hope I have better luck than this year as mine have been a complete let-down.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger dinzie said...

Looks awesome .. :O)

Have added it to my list for next season

D

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Blossom - just a wonderful mild, sweet taste and very tender.
Rachel - my plants are about 4ft tall and heavily staked, and grown inside netting to protect them from pests.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

gotta love a vegetable like that!
Paula

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Oooohhh, what a beautiful color! I would be sorry to eat it!

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, Matron, your PSB is peerless.
*doffs hat in awe*

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I have tried PSB as a winter crop and totally failed. It didn't grow and then bolted. What is the secret? Perhaps I can pry it out of you next weekend. :) Looking forward to meeting you at SAGBUTT!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Matron said...

All these comments I get about PSB are really interesting. I have never grown any other sort of broccoli, and haven't really heard of green broccoli, except those large green calabrese heads you get in supermarkets, but of course they don't taste of anything as usual.

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have only seen green in Malaysia. Never knew there was a purple broccoli...Looks pretty.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

Ooo! Those are pretty! I would grow those right in my flower garden!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

I just found your site and was looking through it a bit. That purple broccoli is beautiful. I'll have to try it sometime. Having a veggie garden that is edible and beautiful too - what could be better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>