Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pictures from Norway

Matron is back! Norway is such a beautiful country, this is Geiranger Fjord which has been listed on the UNESCO world heritage site as being of outstanding beauty.
Can you smell the fresh air?
It is fairly damp a lot of the time in Norway but we had some sunny days too.
The Norwegians are very keen on their soft fruit, this seems to suit their climate and they are very keen on making jam from berries such as rose hips, rowan berries, blue berries and all sorts of other soft fruit which appreciates the climate. The Norwegian strawberries were the best I have ever tasted - and that includes my own! You could smell these from yards away!
Rowan trees are in blossom at the moment high in the mountains, they will produce vibrant orange berries in the Autumn.
I couldn't resist visiting any local markets I came across. All their fruit and vegetables are bright, clean and unblemished.
The tomatoes must have been greenhouse grown in the South of the country.
Their rhubarb was a dark red colour and the turnips were whiter than white. More updates later when I have inspected my own garden.

11 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

What stunning pictures! Scandinavia, dramatic scenery, fruit and veg markets - ticks all the boxes for me too.

Hope you've found everything chugging along on the plot (at least you don't have naughty under-gardeners getting up to mischief when your back's turned).

Celia

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Richmond, Virginia said...

Thanks for sharing those pictures, Miss Matron! The fjord is certainly lovely, but I loved the pictures of the farmer's markets even more! You should start a gastro-tourism business. While a cruise of the fjords might be nice, I'd sign up for your culinary tour of Norway any day.

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nevermind smelling the fresh air, I can taste it!

Stunning pictures :)

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Kath said...

The scenery is stunning! I love the local markets too - even in this country you get local specialities.

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Nice scenic & produce photos. That rhubarb does look very good. I would have whipped up a pie in the hotel room :-) The broad beans are now in full bloom and I have a photo up of them on the blog. They smell amazing!

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Corner Gardener Sue said...

I enjoyed the scenery and the farmers' markets, too. Even though I garden, I go to our downtown Saturday farmers' market almost every week. I think I'm skipping this week to garden, though.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I can see why it's listed on a site for outstanding beauty. It's really neat to see pictures of Norway. It looks like it's still very cold there. What an interesting trip!

 
At 5:30 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Awesome views - thanks for sharing. The markets are certainly abundant with good looking eats too. Glad you had a good trip and hope the garden is in good shape for your return.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Fab holiday, rather jealous. The scenery really is breathtaking, I must visit someday. Plus anywhere were the berry is king is my kind of place.
I love markets too when I'm away, they seem to do them which so much pride and much better quality produce than I see here at home.
Glad you had a good time.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

Looks wonderful, glad you had such a good time. Definitely on my "to do" list for sometime in the future

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Curmudgeon said...

Oh Wing Nut is going to love these pics! She spent a summer in Norway while in high school. I'll send her right over as soon as she hobbles in the front door after work today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>