Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, September 25, 2009

Can't Grow Carrots!

I'm afraid this is my best effort! I don't think that my London clay soil is the best for carrots, even though I loosened it up with additions of sand to improve the texture. Still, if you are going for laughs, then this gets the biscuit! Perhaps I should run another competition - Matron's naughty vegetable show! Anyway, I know this is a vegetable blog, but I thought you might like to see some piccies from a short trip to Southwold in Suffolk yesterday.
Nutters Cheese Shop is the most brilliant delicatessen you will find anywhere. I popped in for a slice of Stinking Bishop Cheese! Ahhhh Grommit!
St Edmunds church towers over the village of Southwold, the sun shone all day yesterday.
And we had lunch at the Sole Bay Inn - a plate of locally caught fish and chips, washed down with a pint of Adnams bitter.
If you are ever in this part of the world, don't miss the opportunity for a visit.

8 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

beautiful photos, you got a fabulous sunny day! We grow our carrots in a very deep container that washed up on the beach, they never fork now! However I love seeing funny forked ones I once had a wee man!

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger miss m said...

Ah, naughty minds see naughty things. I only see a 2 for 1 !
I enjoy the escapades ! Keep 'em coming.

 
At 3:19 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

You definitely do better with other veggies! LOL!

Love the pics of Southwold. Such a charming looking place.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Ah! that gives the feeling of some quaint old world charm. I wish I could ever be in your place to enjoy all that and more.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

Hello Matron,
Beatuiful blue skies!

I grow my carrots in carrot box and in a plastic tub, as I found when I grew them direct in the ground, they forked - amusingly just like yours (tasted good though) so last year for the first time grew them in these boxes, they have grown well, no mishapes, but still one problem, the carrot fly have got to some of them.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous photographs on a gorgeous day. What a treat for our eyes - thank you.

You are not alone with the carrot problem. It is the only vegetable I have never had even the faintest success with, despite many years of trying, with different soil preparation, different sowing times, nothing seems to work for me. Yet for others it is an 'easy crop'. I have managed to produce one single carrot this year, shaped not unlike yours!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

We grew beautiful straight carrots in barrels for 2 years, this year I put them in 3 different beds in the ground and got varying shapes and sizes but nothing like the ones from the barrels!
You asked on my blog about growing celery, I put in 12 plants of which 2 are left which did not go to seed.
Oh well, win some lose some.
I love the photos of the sea side lovely weather in a lovely area.

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only carrots I've ever had any success with over the years were a variety that was short and squatty to begin with...I've never been able to grow a decent "normal" carrot...happy you included your visit to Southwold...enjoyed the photos and the talk of fish and chips and a pint...I once had a cookbook from Singapore that had a recipe for fish and chips...which I tried with great success...probably the closest I'll ever get to the real thing...*smile*...I never got my dog/garden photo taken...at some point maybe I'll "catch" a good one of my Dachshund Baron in the "jungle" and invite you over to Annie's to see it...LOL...I actually love homegrown carrots so much better than those purchased in the grocery here in the states...perhaps I'll try some in a large deep container next year, it's a thought...so thank you for inspiring me and for sharing your risque carrot couple....!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>