Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Matron's Dogblog!

I really can't believe it was just over 2 years ago that I published my last dogblog. There are still a few faithful canines who have come back for more publicity! This fine collection of canine garden helpers has more than its fair share of senior citizens.
I am proud to say I am the owner of such a senior dog. May I introduce Buddy. He is 13yrs old and he is a rescue dog from Battersea Dogs Home here in London. He is truly an inspiration, a dog of a lifetime, one in a million.
This is Tommy, he lives with Bob on the estate. He is a terrific guard dog as you can see here he is guarding the bonemeal...(what else!) I must admit I have a very soft spot for Border Collies, so he is honoured with two photos! Tommy is clearly Bob's best friend, look at him here bringing in the tinnies!

This is Sam, he will be 13yrs old in December. he lives with Peggy on her organic garden in beautiful Ireland. He is clearly descended from Royalty!
Here are a couple of canine veggie consumers! I think Tara and Niki here are each enjoying a celery stick! They live with Maggie & Bob
Here is the famous Skippy who lives in his own garden Skippys Garden. There are a number of dogs here who have blogs named after them. Skippy is a beautiful Portugese Water Dog. Here is the most wonderful and sadly recently deceased Ollie aka Mr Hairy. He lived at the veiw from bag end. What a wonderful picture, it will bring back happy memories. All of us doggy people out here send our love. This is Gracie the Bichon Frisee who lives with Cath at A Gardener in Progress in Washington State. Apparently she is a little camera shy! Perhaps if someone invented a camera shaped like a bonio?? I love this picture. This is B the senior watchdog who lives with Gintonio at Jardim com Gatos in Portugal. B contributes to the gardening effort by digging the compost heap and stealing garden gloves! I just love this picture - Awesome! I can see this face is ready for excitement and perhaps a bit of trouble! This is Buffy who lives with Nell at seed scatterer. Buffy is an incorrigible helper! Just look at these two lovelies, BJ and CeCe who live with Tina Ramsey. Again here we have dogs who will not pose for photos! You are not alone Tina! This cheeky chap is Billy, he hangs around on the allotment where Nic digs at Nip it in the Bud. He looks like a useful little chap to me. Just look at these two dachshunds Annie and her Brother Otto who live in Annie's Kitchen Garden. They are also uninterested in having their picture taken. I suppose there are more interesting things to do if you are a dog! This is Bobby, he is a senior Lurcher who is a rescue dog living with John Midmarsh in Lincolnshire. Bobby is a rescue dog and he is 11yrs old. He is John's faithful companion and although his joints creak, his eyesight is failing he still makes the most of life! Three cheers for Bobby! This is another senior canine, LuckyDog who lives with scarecrow in Australia. Here LuckyDog is helping to weed the garden along with her companion Blackie the chook. LuckyDog is a veteran of my first 2007 blog. Thanks for hanging around mate! You should hang around with Tommy and enjoy a few tinnies together! This is Maggie from grow our own. She has a boyfriend called Gus and a good pal Little Arnold. She is the good and faithful friend of Carrie from grow our own. Phew! hope you enjoyed my dogblog - I sure did. A million thanks to my canine friends and their companions!

21 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh boy, what a great collection of our 4 legged friends. Rescue dogs rule, Maggie was adopted too, a second chance at life. May I just mention she is a very good site manager as well as relaxer. Everything is scrutinised by her and thus we won lottie of the year. I hope this becomes a regular thing again xx

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, Thats what I call a proper dogs show with REAL dogs! Mankind has a lot to thank dogs for. Bob

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Look at all those sweet faces! What a great group of helpers we all have. It sure is nice having company while you're out in the yard. I need to train Gracie to bring me drinks like Tommy!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Annie*s Granny said...

Thank you, Matron, for highlighting our wonderful canine companions. They are such a special, important part of our lives, aren't they?

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger tina said...

Awww, they sure are all cute. So sad to lose even one-ever. I really like Bob's comment-a real dog show with real dogs. Dogs don't have to be pedigreed to be so lovable. What makes them most unique is they are truly our friends with no questions ever. So nice so many share their gardens with the canine friends! Very sweet of you to put it all together too Matron.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

Dear Matron, thank you so much for doing this - as Bob says - a REAL dog show. Interesting how many are senior citizens and how many got their second chance at happiness with us gardening types.

My darling Ollie (Mr Hairy) was a rescue who came to us at 8 months old, so glad we gave him 13½ good years.

Have loved looking at everyone else's fur-babies. Bilbo, xx

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, what a lovely idea, I had not seen your previous blog so I am glad Sam got to feature in this one. I will visit all of the blogs mentioned over the next few days,what a great collection of four legged friends we have.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's so ace Matron, I think you'll have a raised a smile on many a face this evening.

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's so ace Matron. I think you've raised a smile on many a face this evening especially Bilbo's. thank you x

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Very nice! This was a great idea. Dogs are great to have around the house and yard - I have 2 right now, but not in the garden. They only get to watch from the other side of the fence.

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Tira said...

A lovely and enjoyable post. I only got back from work travel yesterday so I wasn't bale to take any doggie gardener pics

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just lovely! What fabulous photos of the cutest dogs ever!!

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Fun blog post. Some of those faces I am familiar with having seen them highlighted at their garden blog homes. Many are new to me though. So fun to see the impish and loving characters that make our houses and gardens - homes.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger F Cameron said...

What a wonderful blog story! Sweet and special!

I have a "gardening greyhound" name Charm. She is also a senior and dealing with kidney disease. We rescued her when she came off the race track in 2003. Charm is the sweetest, kindest soul. She is so polite and doesn't have any bad habits... seriously! Seriously!

All I have to do is say "Charm, promenade" and she walks along the garden paths with me each morning. She is very patient while I snap photos for my blog. She has never stepped on any flower; she has never dug up any soil in the garden. She does like to stop and smell the flowers, though!

Please keep Charm in your thoughts as her prognosis isn't too good... the vet says "weeks, maybe months, but not years" left in her. I keep telling her that I'm going to throw her at big 11th birthday party in February.

Cameron

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awwww, lovely dogs, I love this post! I have fallen especially for Buddy - he looks very intelligent and just a bit crazy which I like a lot, Sam - just dead cute and cuddly, and B - my, what a looker that B is!
:)

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Look at all those doggies and a few familiar faces too. I wish I had a dog!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger gintoino said...

What a great collection of lovely dog faces.Its fun to see the dogs behind all those great garden blogs around the world ;-)

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a really special thing to do Matron...thank you. I was particularly taken with "comment" about Charm the "gardening greyhound." She will definitely be in my thoughts. The pictures of the K-9 "gardeners" were extremely heartwarming...one can't ask for a better friend than a dog. They do so much for us and ask for so little.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

What a great group of garden helpers and supervisors. They all look pretty well content with their position in life :)

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Corner Gardener Sue said...

What a fun post! I think you asked me if you could include Heidi, but I am so scatterbrained, that I forgot to get back to you, and couldn't even find where you asked me, but when I saw the link on In the Garden, it caused me to remember. Well, if you do it again, or if you are still adding to this one, you are quite welcome to include Heidi. She has been moping a bit since I haven't been out much after tripping on her front yard leash, and landing hard on my left knee.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

How lovely to see so many wonderful dogs on your blog. Being me I of course forgot to send you a pic of Tara. Sorry!

Great to see that Buddy is still going strong and living live to the full.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>