Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Autumn Colours

Although lots of fruit and veggies are dying back this Autumn, there are some stunning colours on show in Matron's garden. I am torn between leaving these lovely crabapples on the plant to cheer up the garden, or to pick them and make some jelly. That's a tough decision. This Swiss Chard will continue to provide colour right the way through Winter and into Spring next year. I have planted a Rainbow Lights selection so I also have yellow, orange and white chard.
This is one of the flowers on my Jerusalem Artichokes. Most of them are 12 feet up in the air on top of the tall stems, but here is one nearer the ground. I look forward to digging them up later, after a frost has sweetened them a bit more.
I am looking forward to enjoying this Lemon/Lime cross on Christmas Day with my gin and tonic!
A small show of my greenhouse chilli Numex Twilight. These little finger chillis are fiery hot and come in a rainbow of different colours which ripen to red.
Which one of us does not have a maze of spider webs all over the place at the moment, they are beautiful if you look closely.
We've had a bit of a warm spell in London over the past few weeks so these runner beans that I am saving for seed have started to produce more beans! These will be left on the vine as long as possible to produce seeds for next year.
The last colour in this lovely Autumn display is........
White with black spots!

12 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Blogger Jeff Vandiver said...

Oh, you've got to make jelly with those crabapples!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Mack said...

oh Matron . . . how did you get a lemon/lime cross? I have a meyer lemon tree that we just brought in for the winter. I would love to cross it with a lime-somehow!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Ruthanne - I bought it as a cross! there is something wonderful about fresh picked citrus, and the blossom smells heavenly!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You could always make some cider with the crab apples and a few other different varieties of but the jelly probably is easier. Either way, i'd make use of them too :D

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that's what a jerusalem artichoke flower looks like. I have promising looking buds on a couple of mine and if it opens up it will be the first time they'll have flowered in 4 years! The garden is changing so fast now but at least we can dig now ;o)

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

You certainly have a great variety of produce there Matron.

I see you found the Dalmatian part ;)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Crab apple jelly - what a treat - go for it!

Your Chard looks fab too, we are growing "Zilver" this year, having grown the rainbow selection last year. As you say, "Great Autumn colour" .

Nice to Read your blog - keep up the good work !

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Kath said...

What variety is your crab apple Matron? We have just removed a winter flowering cherry from the front garden which has finally given up the ghost and I'd like to replace it with a crab. Those are a gorgeous colour.

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

You simply must use those gorgeous crabapples. I grow bright lights swiss chard every year and adore the colors as well as the taste. Such a great crop for the four season harvest garden.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Veg Heaven - I dont think it was labelled. I bought it in Lidls a couple of years ago for about £3 - un-named ornamental tree!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

gorgeous post. x

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Bargain then!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>