Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, October 30, 2009

An Indian Summer?

London has been enjoying some unseasonably warm weather in the last few days. Almost up to 70degrees at times, which has encouraged my Autumn sown Isle of Wight Garlic to show its shoots! Just enough warmth encourages the seed clove to put down roots and send up a shoot. I think I will cover the patch with a bit of fleece in Winter just to keep the worst of the weather off. Meanwhile indoors I have given pride of place to my lovely red Rouge vif D'etamps pumpkin. Ted Senior has been keeping an eye on it too!
Once every 5 weeks I get a half day from work, and whilst in central London I have been playing 'Tourist in my own Town' resolving to visit London landmarks I have not seen for 40 years. I am only a stones' throw from some world class attractions so why not join the masses.
Westminster Abbey just seems a lot smaller inside than you imagine.
Poets Corner, Newton's Tomb, the Coronation chair (minus the stone of scone) well worth a visit.
Then my legs took me to St Pauls Cathedral where I climbed up hundreds of steps to the Whispering Gallery, then up another hundred or more steps to the stone gallery viewing point, then up another hundred or so steps to the gold gallery right at the top. From here you can see all round London. Pictured above is the Central Criminal Court otherwise known as the 'Old Bailey' you can just about see the sword of truth in her right hand and the scales of justice in her left.
You can get a good view of the Millenium footbridge across the Thames. Fondly known as the 'wobbly bridge' after some engineering resonance problems shortly after opening!
Now, boys and girls.... this last picture is of the steps of St Pauls... Think... Mary Poppins... and a certain song should come into your head!

9 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Feeed the birds, tu-p'nce a baaaaag! daa di da di ... you rotter I'll be singing that all weekend now ;-)

Lovely post! Lovely London, especially the view of the Wobbly Bridge.

Celia

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Ribbit said...

I missed out on seeing Westminster. I really wanted to see Poet's Corner. There's always next time. I'd love to do a literature tour of Britain.

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger lilymarlene said...

My garlic (Albigensian Wight) has been in less time than yours. I'm waiting for it to show through....but nothing yet..

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I will have that song in my head too. It's a good one though - so who cares?!

You live in a beautiful part of the world - and so many wonderful places to be a tourist at. While not London, we like to do the same thing by playing tourist in our own general area. There are some beautiful destinations that are right in our own backyard so to speak.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Lucky you to be having such nice weather!
Thanks for the tour. I haven't been to London in a very long time. I'm hoping in the next year or so we'll make it back again.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Here in Lincolnshire we also managed a couple of short sleeved shirt days but today, Sunday, it is making up for it with wet windy weather. It was great while it lasted though.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

"Playing tourist" is a great thing to do. Many years ago I worked next door to the British Museum, sadly I was not old enough to appreciate it and visited rarely.

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger miss m said...

Enjoy the warmth while it's still around ! Another free trip for your readers. Cool, thank you ! :D

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Devon eco lodges and cottage said...

impressive pumpkin - had to buy ours this year and nothing left over for soup. Must try harder - I know they grow here...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>