Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Queensland Blue Winter Squash

I still have a few of my Winter squash doing fine indoors.Yesterday I cut up one of my Queensland Blue squash. This was the one that I hand pollinated back in the Spring to help ensure that the seed comes true next year.
I have a number of nice healthy looking seeds if anyone wants a few? So after cooking and draining the pumpkin overnight I made a pumpkin pie today.
Well not exactly a pumpkin pie... you see, when some of the first settlers arrived in the New World they took recipes with them from home. Some of these settlers were from Norfolk, and an old recipe from Norfolk is the Norfolk Million Pie. Essentially it is a pumpkin pie with jam and sultanas at the base. Delicious!

12 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger kiwinewt said...

I don't think you would be able to ship the seed here... but I would like the recipe though :)

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Nice looking squash there! I'd love to try a few seeds if you want to ship this far. I'll be doing a territorial seed order before long and would include something you want if you cannot find it there? Or, if I order something you want to try, I'll send you some seeds. I'll be sorting out the order by the end of the month. enjoy that pie! Paula

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

Oh I wish I could get some of those seeds, but I'm in Atlanta, GA US. lol Looks amazing, though!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

The pie sounds delicious, will have to give it a try - what type of jam?

Kiwinewt you can get the seeds from Kings Seeds here in NZ :-)

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous joy simpson said...

I grew queensland blue last year and ate the final one in may. They do store extremely well. I hadn't thought of pollinating them myself and will do this year as I had a couple of vry interesting mixes - queensland blue and uchiki kuri and they are not that great to eat.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Cabbage Tree Farm - the recipe suggests plum or apricot, but I used strawberry because that's all I had.
Kiwinewt - 1 cup sieved pumpkin, 2 eggs, 3 spoons cream, 4 oz brown sugar, brandy(optional), nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon. Beat ingredients together and pour into pastry case. Start off cooking at quite hot 200 for 10 minutes then turn down to 180 for about 30 mins.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger kiwinewt said...

Excellent! We just made a whole heap of Apricot jam...

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger sarahsvegetablepatch said...

Hi Matron! I would love a few seeds to try this year! I have tons of seeds, but couldn't tell you what yet as I haven't sorted them out. So perhaps I can send you a surprise??

Sarah

 
At 12:58 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I just processed the last two of my pumpkins today too. Saved out two cups of the puree to make some pumpkin muffins tomorrow, the rest were packaged up in 2 cup portions and put in the freezer for later use. I am swimming in pumpkin puree because we had a particularly nice crop of Small Sugar pie pumpkins in 2009.

Your Queensland Blue Squash looks like it has been a good keeper for you. The pie recipe sounds delish!

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Scarecrow said...

Hey Matron the pumpkin looks great! Looks like more seeds will be going on journeys soon!
It will be well a travelled variety won't it!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Jo said...

The Queensland Blue looks like a nice squash and I bet the Norfolk Million Pie was delicious.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger She Who Digs said...

Hello Matron, Glad to hear that Buddy is on the mend. Totally with you on January tomatoes: I've stopped buying them now and pay careful attention to where things have been shipped from, as it just doesn't taste as good as home grown. Roll on Spring! (BD will be 2 and will have to be re-named Little Digger (LD)!
SWD xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>