Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blossoming Blossoms!

Ahh Spring must be here! Beautiful apple blossoms are just bursting out down on my patch. These blossoms are on an early 'family' fruit tree.
My later Bramley apple is nowhere near out yet!
Just such a wonderful pink colour, aren't they?
The gooseberry plant 'Invicta' is just starting to form little flowers and berries. This time of year I scrape the soil underneath the plant and expose a little of the under layer of the soil. This is where the gooseberry sawfly may have overwintered their larvae. If you expose them now, they may make a welcome meal for some of your feathered friends - or even let your chickens have a peck around. You will be glad later on in the season when your plants are free of this pest!
My strawberries are starting to flower too. Keep them clear of weeds this time of year, give them a dressing of bonemeal too, but don't water them until after the fruit has set. Strawberries hate having their very fine roots in water.
Attention blog readers, this is my 599th post. Stand by for a blog special next post.....

7 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Nate said...

Wow, your gooseberries and strawberries are way ahead of mine! The apple blossoms look really nice - I don't think I've ever really seen them close up.

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Dan said...

The apples are just starting to bud here now. Only 6 months for some more hard cider :-)

 
At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Damo said...

Thanks for the strawberry tips.

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Karen said...

Aren't apple blossoms lovely? Even more so, knowing that so many will turn into delicious fruit, unlike all the ornamental cherries and such. Is there another fertilizer that helps strawberries? I am trying to avoid bone/blood meal in my garden, being vegetarian and also freaked out about mad cow!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Kath said...

You are so far ahead of us up here in Yorkshire Matron. Tight buds everywhere - except the trusty damson!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Jo said...

The apple blossom is so pretty. Great tips there for the gooseberries and strawberries. Looking forward to your blog special.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Nome said...

Oooh, I never knew that about strawberries. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>