Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, April 26, 2010

Seed Swapping!

It is time to plant my cucumbers and squashes in the greenhouse, so I made my selection today.

Courgette Defender
Courgette Soleil
Climbing Courgette Black Forest
Cucumber Tiffany
Squash Yellow Straightneck


And then it occurred to me that a number of things I am looking forward to sowing this year are from seed swaps.
These are 'Ollies Sunflowers' sent to me from Bag End. Special sunflower seeds in memory of their shaggy dog Ollie.
And these special cucumber 'Bari' and 'Tromba d'Albegna' squash sent to me from Mas du Diable. Cucumber Bari are a small furry cucumber from Italy, you peel off the furry jacket (like the fur on a melon). Tromba d'Albegna are the trombone squash.
Salmon flowered peas ( or perhaps they are salmon flavoured peas??) sent to me by Celia at Purple Podded Peas. A beautiful old heritage variety - these look very healthy and are being hardened off at the moment.
I just loved these Queensland Blue pumpkins sent to me by Scarecrow in Australia last year. They are a must plant this year too!
And just take a look at these rosemary flowers! My large rosemary bush is just covered in these pale blue flowers. The bees and insects just love them.... that reminds me...
Don't forget Matron is running a fantastic competition on May 1st. I have been approached by the Royal Horticultural Society and asked to ask you to write 100 words on what you are doing to promote biodiversity in your garden. The prize will be a one year membership of the RHS, which entitles you and one other to free entry for a year to any RHS garden. WOW! I will ask you to think about what you will write, then leave your 100 words on my May 1st post! Matron will choose the winner... and Matron's decision is final....etc.

8 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

It's Salmon Flowered Pea. Mine are quite reddish, unlike yours.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

Oh, bless your heart - love the plant labels! Hope they grow well for you.

For anyone who doesn't know the story, this bird-sown Sunflower came into flower on the day our beautiful boy died last summer, so to me they will always be Ollie's Sunflower.

I have discovered another bag of seeds so if anyone else would like some please contact me via Bag End.

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

It's great to try out new varieties.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Such a lovely rosemary bush. I love them just like the bees!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Jo said...

Swapping seeds is a great idea, it enables us to try many more varieties than we would ordinarily. Hope they all do well for you.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Kath said...

My garden is full of swapsies too! (Including toms from you!)

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Oh cucumber. It keeps refusing to germinate at every attempt in my garden!.. love to see yours growing and its updates.

~bangchik

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron,my small Rosemary bush died a death in the cold, it was only planted last year so was probably too tender to last a really cold spell so another one will have to go in this year. The flowers look beautiful an added bonus!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>