Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Warm Spring Days!

Here in London, we've had 4 or 5 sunny, warm Spring days in a row. Finally the blossom on my plum tree has opened! Much later than it did last year. The warm Spring days have given my garden frogs some ideas as well... In the absence of a garden pond, they spawned in a shallow flowerpot dish, only 2" deep! They must have been desperate! I know I have frogs living under the carpet on my compost heap, and I suppose they couldn't escape to the neighbours garden where there is a small pond. This spawn has been safely transported to a friends garden and found a home there!
A belated Birthday prezzie arrived in the post this week. The aptly named Plants4Presents online gift shop has exotic plants on mail order.
This is a Coffee Plant... or several. Growing instructions say it should be out of direct sunlight, warm, and constantly wet. I will find a place indoors and see how it goes. Fun!
The past few days has me caught up with all my pricking out now. My tomato seedlings have been potted up into modules. I planted these, almost all the way up the stem right up to the seed leaves as new roots can develop from the hairs on the stem. They have already perked up and put on some growth in just a few days.
I have taken my seedlings outdoors for some bright sunshine too, started the hardening off process in the warm shelter outside.
These leek seedlings are well on their way too. This year I am trying a F1 variety called Oarsman. They were recommended to me by a member of the National Vegetable Society. I thought I would give them a go.
Peas are hardened off and planted out too. These are Hurst Green Shaft, I've not tried this variety before but they have a great reputation for flavour and productivity. Fingers crossed.
Finally, today I put my back into some hard work, and dug my runner bean trench, and filled it with grass clippings and worm compost. I'll let that sit and settle for a few weeks before planting my Runner beans.

13 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi Matron,
we had 1 sunny day yesterday but today has been sunny with a cold wind. Your seedlings are way ahead of mine and your peas look very impressive, happy gardening :)

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

I managed one and a half days in the garden this weekend and got lots done. I think your London garden is a few weeks ahead of us here in Suffolk. Lots of buds on the plum trees but not out yet - with frosts at night I think it should wait a while yet!

Celia

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Ribbit said...

Things are looking great, Matron. It's so good to see green again.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Everything's coming on apace now, good to have some nice weather at last.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Nome said...

Good stuff, Matron. Looking forward to seeing how the coffee plants go!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Hazel said...

I agree with Celia - your plum trees are a week or two ahead of mine in the Midlands too.

Your fab pea plants have not been troubled by pigeons? Mine were decimated last year, but have not been touched (so far - fingers crossed!) this year.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger miss m said...

A coffee plant, how cool is that ! I hope you see more of those lovely spring days. Things are looking great !

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Jo said...

It's great to have some decent weather and be able to get on with things at last. How exciting to have coffee plants delivered through the post.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Alex T said...

I am v jealous of the coffee plant, I was given some coffee seed to try last year but none germinated. I'm also growing Hurst Green Shaft although they are half that size, keep us posted on their progress.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Looks like spring has arrived in your area too. The blossoms are beautiful - are the bees showing up too?

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Isn't it amazing how well things come on when pricked out into a little more compost?

My leeks were only sown at the weekend!

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Mark said...

I am also growing Oarsman variety leeks this year. I have grown them several times in the past and found them to be pretty reliable and produce good tasty leeks.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

I've known frogs to spawn in a puddle ten feet from a pond. They like very shallow water to the point where, as you saw, they go where the tadpoles haven't a chance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>