Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Summer Pudding

Look at all this wonderful Summer fruit! I just cleaned the fruit and put it in a bowl in the microwave with a spoonful of sugar to cook for just 5 minutes. Absolutely no water is needed. Line a basin with plain white bread.
When the fruit and the juice has been put into the basin then make a top for it.
Fit a plate on the top and place a heavy weight on top. Leave in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours for the juice to completely soak into the bread. The remaining syrup will thicken slightly with the starch from the bread. I came back 24 hours later to try my first silce and to take a photo. Unfortunately you will see it came out just a bit out of focus, so I went back today to take another shot....
But is was all gone!

6 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi Matron, looks delicious,is it really no cooking apart from the 5 mins in the microwave?I will have to try this!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

You're definitely the Queen of Summer Puddings, Matron. That one looks splendid!

Celia

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Peggy - yes that's it, no cooking. Just 24hours in the fridge.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Lovely! I'd have to buy bread for this. I make seedy home made which is a bit 'robust' for a delicate pudding. I hope you had lots of cream with it?

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

A classic, looks great!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

That looks absolutely wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>