Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bishop's Kiss!

I obtained these unusual chilli plants as tiny seedlings back in the Summer. Although they had been planted very late, I was determined to see if I could get them to grow and produce seed for next year. These are called 'Bishop's Kiss' chillis. A relative of a similar shaped variety known as 'Friar's Hat' or Bishop's Hat chilli. I didn't think they would ripen before the end of the season so a few weeks ago I brought them inside onto a sunny windowsill - and hey presto! One of these plants will be making its way into the posession of a certain Church of England Bishop who needs cheering up at the moment!
Just a month to go before Christmas so today I cut off the tops of my Brussels Sprouts 'Bosworth'. They are looking good for my Christmas Dinner, and I hope that cutting the tops off will give them a bit of a boost just in time!
Christmas new potato is surviving in a large pot sat in a heated propagator in the greenhouse. We've had a few sharp frosts so far, this seems to be keeping it alive and growing. A bit of an experiment, but we shall see.... on the 25th December!
I chopped up one of my lovely Queensland Blue pumpkins today. Just such an amazing colour, texture and taste. By far, the best Winter squash I grow. Sweet, dry and tasty. I made a pumpkin pie this afternoon... fresh home grown pumpkin, fresh home made pastry, fresh home milled pumpkin pie spices.
Turkey is defrosting as we speak. For those of you who aren't American, or don't know any Americans... it is Thanksgiving tomorrow. To those of you who are, or who do... Happy Thanksgiving!

14 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We grew potimarron pumpkins for the first time this year and they are going mouldy!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

That Queensland Blue pumpkin looks exceptionally nice, the flesh is so thick. I bet your pie will be delicious. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving.:)

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Matron said...

I think it is logical to assume that the wetter pumpkins do not keep as long as the dryer ones?

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

That pepper plant is great. I'm going to seek out some of those seeds for next spring.
Your pie looks so good. We made squash pie yesterday too. Yours looks better!

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Those chilli's look so interesting! Are they spicy??

 
At 1:05 AM, Anonymous Nicole said...

That pumpkin looks scrumptious.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Thanks to all the lovely blogs, despite being non-american, I know it is thanksgiving tomorrow. And i take this opportunity to thank Matron for giving me appetising, inspiring, occasionally jealous...moments by showcasing the wonders she can do in her vegetable garden.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Jo said...

My Christmas potatoes look to be doing ok too, only time will tell. Your pumpkin pie looks delicious.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Dan said...

mm pumpkin pie! It will be interesting to see how the potato does.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

I love the chilli, what an unusual shape, I must give it a go next year.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Lots of fun stuff going on in your season extending efforts. The pepper is very interesting and I was wonderging if it is a hot pepper too?

We had a lovely thanksgiving with pumpkin pie made from our garden pumpkins, and lots of other food on the table that came from our garden and hen eggs as well. That's what I love about the Thanksgiving feast - it really celebrates the harvest bounty of what we can actually grow in our region.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger fer said...

Very funny shaped chili pepper. So glad you got it to ripe just in time.
Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pumpkin pie looks absolutely delicious...the Bishop's Kiss peppers are very interesting! (formerly Annie's 25x25 Garden)

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

I heard about those pumpkins and how they make outstanding pumpkin pie. I'm going to have to discipline myself a bit more next year to grow a pumpkin patch successfully.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>