Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Another Book Review

Well, there are only so many photos a girl can post of her brussels sprouts covered in snow. Not a lot happening on the allotment at the moment. I thought I would share this gem with you. If you want a complete, comprehensive, informative guide to every fruit you have ever heard of (and some you haven't) then I recommend this most highly. If you want to tell the difference between a Kumquat and a Loquat, a Sorb or a Medlar. This is the book for you. Jane Grigson includes recipes and traditional dishes for these fruit. I am definitely going to try making some Qunice Gin.....

7 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger gintoino said...

Did you say quince GIN? hummmm can we have a recipe? ;-)

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hmmm...why doea gin always come to mind when searching for recipes?!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Gintoino - I was just going to approximate quantities as I do for sloe gin. I would probably do 10cm of chopped quince, 3cm of sugar, and fill the bottle up with gin.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Jo said...

That sounds like an interesting book. It looks like you're catching up on your reading while there's not much that can be done on the lottie.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

This book (and the companion Vegetable Book) are my absolute 'must haves' in my kitchen/garden.

And they are great to just curl up and browse through on a cold winter evening.

Celia

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Will look out for that one. I hope that you enjoy Christmas and wish you happy growing in 2011.

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Eliza @ Appalachian Feet said...

I bought a produce "field guide" recently that claimed to ID fruit in this manner and found it very disappointing. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check it out!

Your recent onion and Brussels sprout post would be a great addition to the newest issue of How to Find Great Plants. If you're interested in submitting your post, the due date is December 31st and this link explains how to enter:

http://www.appalachianfeet.com/how-to-find-great-plants/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>