Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

First Sowings

There are many traditional planting dates for seeds and tubers throughout the growing year on the allotment. One such tradition is that of sowing your onion seeds on Christmas Day. Well, I was busy cooking Christmas dinner on the 25th, so the sowing of my Bedfordshire Champion onion seeds has had to wait till now.
I always try to do something new each year, try a new variety or grow something unusual. I have never managed to get around to planting onion seeds till now so I thought I'd give it a go. Most often I grow onions from sets, but I thought I'd give this a go.
This is supposed to be a show variety, and a good old fashioned English favourite, so I'll see if they come to anything.
Must let you all know that my Brussels Sprout 'Bosworth' had the most wonderful flavour! Really fresh and sweet. Highly recommended.

6 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Blogger Molly said...

Your brussels sprouts look fantastic! Mine always end up looking like little green flowers on the stalk. I should probably have my soil tested. Anyway, Merry Christmas and many happy meals of brussels sprouts.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Scarecrow said...

Hi Matron
Good luck with the onions.

I am getting a early start with my New Year wishes.

I hope 2011 will be a productive year in both your garden and your life.
I trust the weather will behave itself for you and not present too many (more) extremes!!

Best wishes from Australia.
Scarecrow

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

I have really suffered sprout envy this year as ours didn't produce anything and I love sprouts!

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Over the years, when I had a garden, I always grew onions from sets too...with your care I'm sure your onion seed will do quite nicely! It's sad but I don't believe I've ever had a home grown brussel sprout...when I think of what I've missed! Looking forward to seeing your 2011 garden grow...

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger KatieLovesDogs said...

I have never tried growing onions from seed. I can't wait to see how your turn out! Maybe your successes will give me the confidence to try it myself.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger RobD said...

I grew Bosworth sprouts too this year and have been very impressed with them - they've even stood up well in all the snow and when the netting collapsed on them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>