Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Potting Up

Everything is just romping ahead! My rhubarb is at its absolute best at the moment. Sweet and tender at this time of year these are the best few weeks to pull rhubarb. It gets more acid and more fibrous later in the year.
A few weeks ago I planted some broad bean Aquadulce Claudia into these long, thin coffee cups. These make good root trainers, you can see here the roots have gone right to the bottom of the cup. Almost time to plant these out now.
I planted one Rocket new potato in a small pot in January. This has been pampered in a heated propagator and re-potted almost weekly! The growth rate is phenomenal. We've had bright sunsine and warm days for the last few weeks and it has made good growth. I will give it plenty of liquid feed! I am hoping to have a small crop at Easter!
Bishop's Kiss chilli are enjoying the heat and the bright light in the greenhouse too. These have been potted up and are looking good!
Last April I received a present of an ornamental coffee plant. Actually it was about a dozen small coffee seedlings in a pot. Beautiful shiny, dark green leaves but the plants were quickly growing too large for one pot. I re-potted a dozen coffee plants yesterday! Apparently coffee plants enjoy shady, warm and damp conditions. I'll give it a go! If they all survive it looks as if some of them will be making their way to the church bazaar!

13 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, growing that coffee will be interesting. Its good to see things coming on so well after months of no change.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Scattered Gardener said...

You are an adventurous gardener Matron! Sugar cane, now coffee. All you need are walnuts and you can bake a cake:-)
Thanks for the tip about eating rhubarb now. It's our first year's harvest, we picked three big sticks last week but I was going to wait until the rest got bigger for the next crumble. Perhaps I'll pick smaller and more regularly instead.

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your rhubarb is wonderfully healthy looking...as are all your plants. I expect your ornamental coffee plants will do quite well...I do believe you and all my gardener friends are so wonderfully happy now that the plants are a growing! I so enjoy "listening" to you talk of your plants and how they're doing!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

What beautiful Rubarb!, I think mine died :o( if I don't see it come up in a couple more weeks , then on to get another... Your coffee plant looks wonderful, I wish you blessings with it..

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi Matron, lots of weird and wonderful planting down on your patch!Sugar cane and now Coffee?!!Keep us posted on how they are doing.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Daniel Harriss said...

I echo scattered Gardener. I never know when to pick the Rhubarb and wait until its toppling over itself. Will pick some off tomorrow :)

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Wow! Lots of fab green stuff :-) Thanks for sharing :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Phoebe said...

Its interesting that you are growing broad beans for spring and summer! We grow them in southern Australia over winter...

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Mrs Bok - The Bok Flock said...

Beautiful! I've never seen coffee plants growing close up! Planted broad beans here too for winter.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Daniel Harriss said...

It was a hit :) My wife said it was the best Rhubarb Crumble she has ever had. I picked the thickest stems so it gives the smaller ones room to grow. Looking ahead I may have to divide them up as they are all competing. There's at least 30 stems in 1sqm. Is this normal?

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Chef_uk - you can see mine is fairly congested and I have had this patch for about 4 or 5 years. Should be fine for a few years more as long as you keep it well fed with a few inches of manure each Winter.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Janet/Plantaliscious said...

Hope your coffee crop does as well as your rhubarb and broad beans! My current sowing of "Claudia" are being recalcitrant, which is a shame as by the time they germinate I will probably have run out of room for them!

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

Your Bishops Kis are rockin , far better than mine.

Damn and blast it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>