Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

First Raspberries

Raspberries are masters of disguise! To look at the raspberries from a distance you can just see green leaves. I suppose this might fool a passing blackbird from a distance, but this is why I missed these beauties ripening underneath. Only three today, but there are more ripening every day. There is nothing on earth like a freshly picked raspberry straight off the plant! They didn't make it anywhere near a bowl or a spoon.

Meanwhile, neatly tied up to a fence these loganberries are a few weeks away yet. Their super abundance is the first ingredient in a Summer Pudding. I love this time of year, and the time is drawing near.

Hot sunshine on these past few days has brought my leek flowers nearer and nearer to opening. I can almost see the bees queuing up around the corner!

12 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Oh yum, delicious raspberries! Ours have just finished fruiting but I put some away in the freezer. Enjoy!

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heehee! I also picked my first 3 on Tuesday - but yours are whoppers!

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

What will you do with the leek flowers?

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger LindaG said...

The raspberries look great Matron. Thanks for the lovely pictures. :)

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Your garden is so much further along, Mmmm raspberries...we will be lucky to see those a month from now!

Wyatt

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Yummmmy those berries look great! Not got any even thinking about turning red yet unfortunatly, surely not too long tho... :)

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Nate said...

Oooh those raspberries look great! Now I feel the need to go out and check there aren't any hiding away from me in the garden! ;)

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Growth Spurts said...

Those raspberries look fabulous...

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Those look wonderful! And it looks like a nice summer for you, in a several posts. We had a nice day of it yesterday. But hope for more to come.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Emma said...

Your leek flowers look as though they are going to be amazing. Great idea keeping them for the bees. We all need a few flowers around our veg plots to bring in the pollinating insects. We wouldn't get far without them!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Those raspberries lok goooorgeous! :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger The Boy Ollerton said...

Talking of your camouflage raspberries. I tell you a little story. I got a job on a raspberry farm last year, I only lasted two days. Colour blindness!

I wasn't picking enough berries lol :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>