Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, August 07, 2011

Planning Ahead

I pulled a few of these cylindra beetroot today. I seem to do much better with this shape than the traditional round beetroot for some reason. Very pleased with these!
I decided to do a bit of successional planting today. Most of the Summer crops at the moment will be finished in a month or so, and there is plenty of daylight and warmth right into October and even November some years. I planted a few more cucumber seeds, just to see if I could get a late crop. An experiment really, but there will be plenty of room in the greenhouse.
A successional planting of peas usually works right the way through the season. Here I have some I planted a month ago, and another row of seeds planted today. Let's see what happens.
It will be nice to have some Winter Density lettuce in the greenhouse right the way through till Spring. Lettuce like it fairly cool to germinate so this pot will be staying out of the greenhouse in the shade for a while. Hopefully one or two of these will survive in a growbag.
These leeks have been growing in a pot for a while now. I planted them out and gave the tops a haircut, just before a big shower of rain came down this afternoon. Excellent.
You might remember that the Dim Sum Gardener very kindly sent me some fresh turmeric to grow in my greenhouse a while back.
Very pleased to say that two healthy shoots have now popped up, and some nice root growth in the pot too. I love to experiment.
And my sugar cane is about 3ft tall now and quite sturdy. All in all, quite a successful experiment. The task ahead is to get them through the Winter!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Serious garden envy from Nottingham!! Growing your own turmeric. That is clever! Rob

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

It is fun to grow something new. As for peas we have had a total failure this year.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Oh wow! Those beetroot look fab! I'll have to try another row of peas myself..... Can you tell me why you gave your leeks a haircut???? Should I do mine? Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Mel - As with many cuttings or young plants, it just reduces the stress on the plant when it has to cope with being uprooted and transplanted. Less leaf area to have to feed. Less water loss. Having said that, leek seedlings will put up with almost any sort of handling, they are 'hard as nails' always OK!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Nice beetroot. I'm growing cylindra too but they a week or two behind yours. Sugar cane and turmeric - I stand back with admiration.

Nice to see another leek top and tailer.

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Steve Dixon said...

Love the beetroot! Very exotic and I've never seen them before.
Also, on the advice front, we have plotholders from Africa and the Caribbean who want to grow more exotic vegetables, so if you have any pointers, they'd be gratefully received. Steve

 
At 4:00 AM, Anonymous Lou Murray's Green World said...

Turmeric and sugar cane, oh my. What an eclectic garden you have. Very nice.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

You seem well organised, good tip to think ahead!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

oh Matron - your beetroot is rather suggestive hahahaha.
LOVE to watch all your experiments, we haven't got a greenhouse and no room for one either so it is a joy to see all these wonderful things grow through your blog - best wishes xxx

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

Very cool, Matron! Especially the sugar cane. Hopefully they will make it through winter in your greenhouse. I would love to grow exotic Asian spices here in New England but alas our winters are too cold.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Thanks for the advice!!! I'm off to trim my leeks :-) Mel xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>