Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, September 09, 2011

Piccalilli

Piccalilli is one of my favourite preserves. The final taste is unique and is for me, the taste of Summer. You will need 6lbs of chopped veggies, you can see what I have here. I always save the overblown marrow/courgettes for this.
Chop veggies then soak in brine overnight. Pour 3 pints of white vinegar into the pan with 6 teaspoons of mustard powder and 4 teaspoons of ginger powder and 9oz sugar. Boil just to melt the sugar then add the drained and rinsed veggies. Simmer for 20 mins.
Over the years I have experimented with different ingredients, adding mustard seed, nasturtium seeds and this year I added some freshly grated horseradish.
After 20 minutes, lift out the veggies with a slotted spoon and pack into jars. Keep the vinegar syrup. In a separate bowl mix 2 tabs of flour and 3 tsps turmeric powder and mix with COLD water to form a loose paste. Add this paste to the boiling vinegar syrup and bring to the boil for 2 mins to thicken.
Pour the thick yellow liquid over the veggies. Be careful because it stains everything! Slide a knife down the side of the jars to make sure the yellow liquid goes right to the bottom and remove air bubbles.
Seal the jars and leave to cool. Then try to wait a few weeks before eating.

2 Comments:

At 3:44 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Looks good, we loved pickled everything :)

Wyatt

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, I made 3 jars of it from your aug 2008 post and I am going to do a few more with what veg is left on the plot as we are clearing for the end season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>