Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, March 02, 2012

Food Glorious Food!

Matron took another trip to London's Borough Market today. Just within a few yards of London Bridge and right underneath Southwark Cathedral. If you ever get the chance to come (especially around lunch time) then come to this foodie heaven.
Freshly caught
This Cornish Yarg cheese is wrapped in stinging nettle leaves!
If you think Kangaroo burgers sounds unusual...
Why don't you try Zebra burgers instead!
Or how about a loaf of bread baked in a flowerpot!
I'm not sure what to say about this one except... Ooooh Matron!

13 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

I use to do a cheese souffle in a flower pot with lavander and honey in a resturant i use to work in, that jon dory looks amasing love cookig with that fish very meaty in texture, I have had Cornish Yarg before and its lovley on fresh bread.
not too sure on the kebra burgers though would be like eating hourse i would exspect and thats somthing i dont think i could do! wonderful selection of produce a chefs dream! best market i have been to is in Venice Italy it was mind blowing.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

I just love Borough Market - we always come home from there laden with iberico ham from Brindisa and cheeses. For a vegetarian, I have an unhealthy fascination with the fish stalls...

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yarg fact - true and funny! a farmer called Gary invented it, with his milk not making any money, couldn't thing of a name so called it ~Gary, backwards, yarg!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Stacy - I am just so excited about your last comment about Venice. I have booked a short break to Venice in a few weeks' time. I deliberately booked a hotel near that Rialto market.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Beef curtains. lol. Some sort of beef sausage? Doesn't look quite right to be jerky. :)

Look forward to hearing about your trip to Venice!

 
At 3:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a wonderful place for those who want something unique to eat!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

you will love it its such a wonderful place you will spend hours there. so many goof memories your have to put the pics up for us all to see,

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Flowerpot bread is a great idea! Looks like really fab tasting food.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Kangaroo burgers? Zebra burgers? Would like to try them out someday if I have the chance... perhaps when I go to Perth in two weeks' time? :)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

ooohhh it looks like the sort of place you'd visit on holiday ~ not in the uk! i like :)

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to smoke some Zebra Burgers! I wonder what they would taste like. Pictures of Venice please.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fabulous. I have had kangaroo meat in Oz and very delicious it was too!

Thanks for sharing - it all looks wonderful

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, what an amazing array of food and names!
I envy you the trip to Venice, I have been twice and would go back again and again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>