Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Potting Up!

Well Spring is springing up everywhere!
My crabapple tree has blossom on every single twig throughout the whole tree!
I managed to do some potting up at the weekend. My tomato plants had got a bit bigger while I was away. I tried to pot them deeply, right up to the first set of seed leaves. About 3 inches of stalk below the ground will provide a bigger and more efficient root system.
I also potted up these 'Cairngorm' pot leeks. I've never grown pot leeks before, these are the very short, very fat leeks which are grown for show. Experience has told me that most often the giant type veggies usually have less taste than the smaller ones. Only trying them will see.
Plum tree is also covered in blossom. The honeybees must have been doing their bee dance when they got back to their hive for this one! Smothered in honey bees - wonderful!

5 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

I haven't been to the plot since we got back from our holidays so I don't know how far on our plum trees are but after last year's bumper crop I guess this will be a lean year

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's my first year of growing leeks in modules after a couple of years of having disappointingly small leeks grow in-situ. I did choose the 'Mammoth' variety though so fingers crossed they have some flavour as well!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, I've been hearing about your hosepipe ban on Tv and the unexpected snow up north!Our temps have dropped almost to minus with a biting gale force NE wind. We did not put any tender plants in the plot just our early potatoes so we can stay indoors and warm out of the cold spell.
I love the venetian snails!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Oh wonderful blossom on your plum tree! I thought mine was doing okay until I saw your photo. Still I'll be pleased if I get any fruit this year as the 4 year old tree will be fruiting for the first time (weather permitting!).

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

just discovered your great blog and all ready learning something!
This is only my third year at the allotment and first season blogging... so I will be back
thank you!
http://sylvansomethings.blogspot.co.uk/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>