Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, April 05, 2012

Rhubarb!

Today I pulled the first few stalks of my rhubarb.
This early in the season the rhubarb is sweeter, more tender and contains more water. When you cut it you will not find any strings at all. It really does not need much sugar either.
So this little lot was chopped up, one spoon of sugar and straight into the microwave ... and eaten straight away! Fantastic!

7 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I have rhubarb envy! I've always loved the beautiful color of rhubarb...as well as the taste!

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Rob said...

The very sight of Rhubarb sets my teeth on edge for some reason even though I know that it's not half as bad as the thought implies.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

The rhubarb looks really good. I'm hoping I'll be able to harvest some this weekend. Glad the snails (from one of your last posts) didn't get it!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Hi Matron. I am encouraged that we are not so far behind in Scotland! I've had two pickings of forced rhubarb so far and the usual rhubarb should be ready for picking in a week. My inherited rhubarb is not an early variety so I bought a crown of Timperly Early this weekend and planted it for next year. Gardening is a long game!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger For The Record - VVG's Sowing and Growing in 2012 said...

Looks fabulous and rosy pink. I have had two pickings of mine so far, which is early this year - put ut down to a good dose of hen poo! I am making Delia's Rhubarb Creme Brulee with the second lot. First went into a crumble. Enjoy Matron...ooh!

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Rhubarb crumble!!

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Isabel @Fennel and Fern said...

I love rhubarb so much! Can't wait for my plants to be ready to harvest from next year. It's a great plant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>