Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, May 14, 2012

Springing Up

 After a brief weekend of sunshine, everything is back to rain and clouds today. Not that these Pot Leeks 'Cairngorm' mind one little bit.
 It is said that leeks can take any amount of food and water that you give them.  I've not grown pot leeks before, I'm looking to find out what they can do. Already you can see that the shafts are much thicker than you would expect from a blanch leek.
 I am planting my sweetcorn in small batches about a month at a time.  These are some of the new breed of ultra sweet and tender sweetcorn. I thought I'd try a variety Lapwing this year. Apparently you can eat them raw and they are as sweet as apples. I wonder?
 These beautiful little chilli plants are coming along nicely. Still in the greenhouse with some protection these Black Pearl Chilli are doing well.
 On the subject of Chilli plants, I managed to overwinter one of my Bishop's Kiss chilli plants from last year. Kept in a cool room with as much light as possible I managed to keep these alive. Chilli plants are apparently perennial if you can get them through the Winter. This will be a first for me if I manage some chillis this year!
 I potted up some of my tomato plants inside the greenhouse. Varieties this year are Golden Jubilee, Sungella, Sungold, Chocolate Cherry and a beefsteak tomato variety that I found in Quebec, Canada a couple of years ago. A cold climate beefsteak tomato! I just called it Quebec.
 Each year I try to grow an old or lesser known variety of beans.  I obtained these Dog Beans a few years ago from a fellow blogger. I grew them successfully and it is time to plant the remaining seeds and keep the variety going.  A dwarf (bush) bean which is green in colour.  If I have some spares at the end of the season I shall have another giveaway!
And even though I did not plant any Crimson Flowered Broad beans this year, a couple of overwintered seeds left in the soil from last year have germinated among my Aquadulce Claudia. What a stunning flower!

12 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Your plants look great as usual :)

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Rainy Day Gardener said...

Hi Sue, I am seriously in awe of your tomato growing ability. My little starts are barely 3 inches tall, although we have finally had some sun the past few days and they have responded quite well. I hope you get chili's off your over wintered plant. That would be very cool..err, I mean, hot! Cheers, Jenni

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Fab piccies! The flowers are very pretty :-) Mel xx

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

You have lots of healthy plants there Matron. Let's hope the weather stays kind.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous MDPE Pipe said...

You're plants are looking great and well done for keeping the Chilli plant through the winter! Me and my husband have planted our first lot of vegetables this year in an above ground planter and we're just seeing the shoots poking through - it's so rewarding!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

I agree. Your plants all look great, Matron!
Your leeks remind me of spring onions. :o)

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Lorraine Pullen said...

They look like very nice healthy plants..

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I thought the tomato plants were potato plants when I was looking at your photos. Think I need to rest my eyes (staring at the computer way too long) lol! The 'tomatoes' look really. healthy.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Garden Centre Anglesey said...

I agree. Your plants all look great, Matron! Your leeks remind me of spring onions.

Thank you for post..

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

You have a lot underway already! One of your chocolate cherry seeds sprouted this weekend. I planted the seeds 4/28. The Jubilee that sprouted weeks ago are doing well. Paula

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had heard you could over winter chilli's and have saved one of my rotocco chillis for a pot to try it this year.... last year I grew them all in the ground outside.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Who needs Chelsea!
Great display as per normal Matron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>