Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, May 21, 2012

Welcome to Matron's Flower Show

 While the other flower show has started in London this week, I thought I'd give you a whirlwind tour of Matron's flowers.
 Often overlooked because the look downwards, these tomato flowers are smiling away in the greenhouse right now.
 Meanwhile the Purple Sprouting Broccoli is just starting to turn from purple to yellow.
 and the bees just adore these little yellow flowers. I always leave a couple of broccoli plants to go to flower for just a few weeks' more.
 Just close up, these Broad Bean flowers are amazing.
 These Crimson Flowered Broad beans could be grown for their flowers alone, they are stunning!
 My strawberries are just absolutely covered in flowers this year.  Looks like it will be a good crop.
These chive flowers are just simply beautiful. The bees adore these too! In fact, the bees seem to prefer vegetable flowers over those other ones at the other place, somewhere in London!

15 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger HappyPlotter said...

You had me fooled there, Matron's flowers, Matron doesn't do flowers, I should have known better..

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger chocolatelikesnow said...

Hello, I love your pictures! My purple sprouting broccoli is a sea of yellow now - looks to pretty to get rid of it>

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger africanaussie said...

flowers and food - that is the best of both worlds - enjoyed the tour!

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger LindaG said...

Lots of great pictures. :o)

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

adoreable pictures... your dog and the chives is great!
I think you have more flowers on your patch at present than I do on mine,
hopefully i will catch up later :-)

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Veg plants have some really nice flowers. I've discovered this a bit by accident. Kale and broccoli have super flowers! My chives aren't in flower yet, but soon will be flowering.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Much more useful flowers that those at that other place ;)

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi Matron, our cold dark weather continues so no flowers on anything as yet apart from the strawberries which are fruiting under polythene and fleece. All of our crops are going to be very late this year

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately my onions have run to seed, what with the temperatures, so I'm going to enjoy some veg flowers all of my own...

I've nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger award on my blog at
http://ladyjustine.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/being-versatile/

because I love reading your blog so much!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

oh WOW - you had me fooled for a millisecond but as the page was loading I thought - haha! it shall be blossoms more than flowers :) Matron doesn't do flowers!
Love it though, very cheery and yeah, you heard about that show somewhere in England too - wonder what that's all about??

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thoroughly enjoyed your flower show...so happy the bees are enjoying your show too!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Pretty flowers,so cheerful. Yes,I'd like to walk into your garden!

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Yeah! Matron does flowers beautifully! Bees know a good thing when they find it.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

We use Chives as little bouquets in the kitchen...pretty to look at and handy for snipping while cooking.

Those bean flowers ARE amazing!

Wyatt

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

We make chive bouquets for the kitchen..pretty to look at and handy for snipping while cooking.

Those bean flowers ARE amazing!

Wyatt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>