Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, July 08, 2012

It's War!

 
All this wet weather has been perfect for slugs and snails. Just so annoying when they take great big mouthfulls out of your prize veggies.
 The snails have taken a habit of climbing up into my broad beans to help themselves. I have never seen broad beans attacked so much as they are this year.
 All sorts of slugs, pale slugs,
 Grey slugs with orange bottoms!
 Fencepost slugs!
Not forgetting the snails!  I think it is time for war to begin! 

10 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

I'm afraid it's a war that is stacked against us.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

They're so annoying, all of my squash and pumpkin plants have been devoured by these critters, even with slug pellets sprinkled around them. I guess the rain is washing most of them away. So to try something else...

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

I had a thought reading your post..you don't suppose snails eat the black fly/black aphid on broad beans? Just wondering...seems they just eat greens...but like I said...just wondering... I didn't notice any black fly on your broadbeans. Mine...say no more!

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger PioneerPreppy said...

With the drought we been having slugs and snails have not been a problem this year. Had a ground beetle blister bug swarm that defoliated my tomatoes though. Luckily it ended before they did permanent damage.

Good luck on your war I am routing for ya!!!

Here's an old Missouri Rebel Yell in support:

YeeeeeeHAaaaaaaw!!!

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

You might win the occasional battle Matron but I wouldn't give odds on you winning the war ;)

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Dan said...

That's a lot of creepy crawlies! I could use some of your rain, the soil is dust here.

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

We fight the good fight against slugs and snails too! Everytime we think we are winning and put down our guard....they come back with a bigger army.

Wyatt

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slugs are a real problem, But at my allotment I've found they're hiding somewhere nearby in a nest, under a slab? In some growth?

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I have seen the first of the big and small snails in my garden this year! Where did they come from? I bet petunia the snake doesn't eat them as easily as slugs. I'm sure you will say I'm in for it now.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I have seen the first of the big and small snails in my garden this year! Where did they come from? I bet petunia the snake doesn't eat them as easily as slugs. I'm sure you will say I'm in for it now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>